Dripping external pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a ground floor flat. Just outside my back door I have a ground level pipe sticking out which has constantly dripped for about 2 years! I need to get someone to come and have a look at it, but don't want to get someone in who is going to spend hours looking for sources and rip me off. I have had a few suggestions as to where the water is coming from, but none of these have helped so far.. Am not really clued up on such matters, but if anyone has any ideas I would be the most grateful person ever..

Sponsored Links
Get someone to hold up the ball valve in the toilet (so cutting the water supply to it) while you check if the drip has stopped. If it stops then you have found the problem and need to replace either the washer in the valve or the whole valve.

If not, do the same to your cold water tank in loft ( if you have one).
:D

Sponsored Links
have a look where the pipes comes from ?..as stated its most probably an overflow pipe for summit. but go and have a look !

If you really can't find where it's coming from, connect the garden hose and it'll probably become clear :evil:

Do you have a combi ? could be the Pressure relief valve leaking. :idea:

If its a condensing boiler it will have a pipe that constantly drips ... thats how it works! but it should run into a drain.

Many thanks for all of your helpful advice. I have checked the toilet ball-cock which seems to be fine. Next stop cold water tank, although it is probably in the most inconvenient place! Never mind.. I may be a bit dense, but not sure what connecting a hose to the pipe would achieve? I also am unable to trace the pipe as it just appears out of the wall. On the other side is my bedroom which has a radiator on same wall - would that be anything to do with it? The alignment doesn't appear to match as the pipe is about an inch off the ground and the radiator is higher up.

Forgot to add, that I don't have a combi boiler either..

you need to tell us what type of hot water tank you have - give us some details off the badge.

is the drip constant?
Is the drip hot or cold?

chris was refering to putting a hose onto the dripping pipe and turning the water on...the water travels up ur dripping pipe and would come out somewhere in the house !!
Does it happen the boiler off...that will tell u if its the boiler.
If its not a combi try this >>>Does it stop when u run hot water...leave it running and go and have a look. this will empty the cold water tank that feeds the hot water tank and hence as it empties the overflow would stop.
Do you have a second water tank for the central heating ? go to it...stand near..can you hear water ?
enough for now.....c how u get on

I am definately going to be kept busy for a bit.. Thanks again to you all. My days off start tomorrow, so will spend a few happy hours with my water collection! Will work my way through your suggestions and let you know what's happening.
Really appreciate this...

I have started with the easiest suggestion and run the hot water. This stops the drip! I presume that this is something to do with the cold water tank - Is it an easy fix or better to get someone out to look at it? I have tried to get up to it to see if I can do anything, but it's location is a bit tricky and I can't see inside once I have got the lid off!
I keep my hot water on a constant setting, would this have anything to do with it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back