Dripping overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The overflow from the cold water cistern is dripping, but it is not the ball valve, as that shuts off. I'm unfamiliar with the overflow assembly that attaches to the overflow pipe, in the cistern as it appears to be always under the water level, with the aperture on the underside, so presumably works a bit like a siphon. Is it possible the assembly itself has failed and needs replacing, since it is letting water drain out?

Sponsored Links
If it's just started doing this then it's the ball valve.

If it's always done this then try and bend the ball valve arm down a little

No, it will be the supply. Either the ball valve is floating too high, and needs adjusting down, or, more likely, the valve it controls is old and worn and needs replacing.

It is possible to re-washer them, but they are so cheap to buy it's easier to fit a new one.

You can also now buy a Torbeck or a Fluidmaster valve which is almost completely silent

After you've put a new one on, if you feel like it, you can dismantle and clean the old valve on your kitchen table and re-washer it for next time; I like to leave a spare in the loft next to the cistern.

edited to say my "no" was to mburdett, not gaschap

mburdett said:
The overflow from the cold water cistern is dripping, but it is not the ball valve, as that shuts off. I'm unfamiliar with the overflow assembly that attaches to the overflow pipe, in the cistern as it appears to be always under the water level, with the aperture on the underside, so presumably works a bit like a siphon. Is it possible the assembly itself has failed and needs replacing, since it is letting water drain out?
........If the ballvalve *definitely* shuts off....and the other cistern in the roof is higher (Feed to central heating) then the heat exchanger in the cylinder is leaking...all assumptions that you have the parts mentioned and you are talking about roof(attic)cisterns:confused: ........The overflow thing is not a syphon, but an anti draught device.stops air blowing up the pipe that can freeze the water

Sponsored Links
If you're unsure about what the overflow pipe is serving, Hold up the ball valve in the cistern, flush the toilet, place a small piece of wood or alike between ball valve and cistern to stop any further water coming out of the valve, or better still isolate the water supply to it;
go see after ten minutes if the water as stopped coming out of the pipe, then "hey presto".
PS: If it's a plastic bottom entry, or side entry valve, be careful not to snap the arm when placing wood to hold back supply.
If water is still coming out of an overflow pipe then it,s loft time, Check storage and header tank ball valves.

it is possible the ball is full of water and giving u a false dignosis of the ball valve shutting off, try it and see

hi

i have the same problem mine has been leaking for months, i run the hot water and it stops. i have had plumber round and he has said everything id fine in the loft with ball valve and everything. but he is now saying that the coil might have gone in my tank ?

is there anything i can do to avoid replacing it. is there anything more i can check to make sure it is the tank and not something else ?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/221228

if you have two water tanks in your loft, a big one and a small one, turn off the incoming water main at the stopcock under the sink, or in the garden, or in the pavement. Observe the water level in the two tanks and see if one is going down and the other is going up. If this ghappens even with the water main off, you know that water is leaking from one into another.

Another common cause is if you have a mixer tap or shower where the cold supply is at mains pressure and the hot is at tank pressure. The high-pressure cold leaks through the tap and goes up the pipe into the hot cylinder and thence into the large tank. In this case it is the tap that needs replacing. You may notice that the hot pipe to such a mixer tap is surprisingly cold, as cold as the cold pipe is. Normally a hot pipe is at room temperature or above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back