>> Dripping Sound in Radiators <<

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are already a couple of threads about this but they have all tailed off without a satisfactory remedy ... so I thought I would start the thread again in the hope of getting to the bottom of this.

The basic problem is a sound of running water coming out of a bathroom radiator which is loud enough to be heard in the bedroom.

I recently disconnected a downstairs radiator, upon reconnection it obviously needed bleeding ... so once I had done that I thought I may as well check the other radiators so I went and bled them as well.

unfortunately since doing this, the trickling noise has appeared in the upstairs radiator.

I've tried bleeding it again ... doesn't help.
The pressure in the system looks OK ...
The radiator is small, no individual thermostat (unlike others on the system) and doesn't actually appear to be leaking ... just sounds like it is!

The noise has started to keep me awake so any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Could be AIR making its way into the rad. Bathroom ones are often the first on a system after the boiler.
Presumably it stops if the rad is off?
Try boiler descaler, (more) corrosion inhibitor. Then I'd put an auto air vent after the boiler output which should catch whatever separates in the boiler.

Had a similar problem in a new column rad fitted in downstairs kitchen. Drained down system at time as had to remove another rad and re-route some pipework. Refilled system with inhibitor. Afterwards noticed this trickling noise. Bled & bled...still noise. Thought must be something wrong with rad. After about a week, just as was on point of going back to complain to shop, noise disappeared and two months on hasn't been back.

Maybe, as Chris says, inhibitor just needs time to work or air to get out...I'm none the wiser, but would be interested to know why this probably occurred. Just thought this might help, before you do anything drastic, not that it helps with your sleep :(

Still, if really bad could always try turning off system at night and if still making noise shut both valves on noisey rad...worth a good night's sleep ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes the noise turns off when the rad is off ... so yes we have been turning it off at night to get some sleep ... interestingly the noise then move to the pipes between the bathroom and boiler so, yes looks like air is entering at the boiler stage.
From what's been said though this looks like a problem that doesn't need immediate attention which is the thing that I was most worried about ...
thanks for the help
any other thoughts still appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back