Dry taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drained my hot water tank yesterday to install a new three-way valve. Did the job and then refilled the tank. Opened the hot taps and got no water out.
I drained the tank again and refilled it with all the taps open - still no water.
I turned on the cold water fully on the kitchen mixer tap hoping venturi effect would drag the hot water through. The hot water ran after the cold was turned off but only for about 20 seconds then dry again.
What am I doing wrong? All suggestions gratefully received.

Ta,
Russ.

Sponsored Links
Sorry I think I may have misread your post.
I understand the valve should be mid way when refilling after fitting a new valve, but this is not related to your problem.
The three way valve supplies water for CH and/or the heating coil in your indirect hot water cylinder.
The water from your hot taps is from a seperate source with seperate tank and is not related to the valve.
So do I take it that you emptied the small tank that feeds the boiler/heating circuit and also the larger tank that feeds the hot water cylinder.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'm probably not explaining myself properly :)
I drained the central heating system via a drain cock above the boiler and I drained the hot water sytem by running the hot taps in the bathroom and kitchen until dry.

Cheers.

You've probably got an air lock. You can clear this by forcing mains cold back up the hot tap. Search for air lock on these forums, there are loads of threads.

I think with taps open air could easily escape with the pressure available.
I would think the blockage is more likely to be sludge from the water tank when the tank was drained. The suggestion by Slippy should clear it, but it will force the sludge back into the tank. As an alternative you can try drain wire or curtain wire down the feed pipe from the tank.
Also make sure any valve between tank and cylinder is fully open.

MANDATE said:
I think with taps open air could easily escape with the pressure available.

I think you're wrong there MANDATE. I see air locks all the time after refilling the I cold storage cistern.

MANDATE said:
I would think the blockage is more likely to be sludge from the water tank when the tank was drained. The suggestion by Slippy should clear it, but it will force the sludge back into the tank.

What is this sludge of which you write? It's not something I've ever seen.

MANDATE said:
As an alternative you can try drain wire or curtain wire down the feed pipe from the tank.

Please don't try this at home anyone.

MANDATE said:
Also make sure any valve between tank and cylinder is fully open.

Good advice, this bit.

Lost me with this one, you drained the domestic hot water cylinder to change the mid position valve !, why, they aint related !!!!!!!!

Don't steam in too hard there PVM - I was giving him some leeway. After all, we don't all mean the same thing when we say "three way valve" - could be a TMV, for example ;)

Either way, for whatever reason it was drained, it got drained. Following that, air locks shouldn't be a surprise :eek:

Oh right, got it, let the boggers burn, shouldn't keep living so long, draining NHS services as well as the hot tank, never enough left for me to have a bath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back