Drylined walls

RJK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are trying to refit and redecorate our kitchen. We want painted walls, but they have been papered until now. We've steamed off the paper and found a mixture of bare plasterboard (no paint), painted plasterboard and the backing of old wall paper behind. How do we get level walls to paint? The paint and old paper seem fixed fast.

Also, we've chipped off old tiles, but the plasterboard is damaged behind, can I just polyfill and then tile over this area again?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It will be cheaper, quicker and better in the long run to get them skimmed by a plasterer. You will take ages with filler and you will always be able to tell unless you are very good. Getting a really nice painted finish on walls is not as easy as it sounds.

Some people use lining paper but I wouldn't in a kitchen.

even lining paper will not solve the problems. even if you use 1500 guage and are good at hanging it (and i mean really good)

Sponsored Links
Been through these dilemmas (1896 house). The quality answer, like D&J say, is to find yourself a reliable plasterer. A good one can make up for all kinds of peculiarities in your walls, leaving you with a perfectly flat wall. You might learn to plaster yourself............. :eek: :eek:
PJ (aka failed plasterer)
Look here:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19996
for really helpful information on plastering - and good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back