Dust masks/ respirators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've been reading about dust masks and the importance wearing proper ones for certain jobs. I've noticed now in DIY progs they are no longer using those disposable nuisance dust ones when cutting MDF, but I don't really understand the differences and I hoped someone could help. :)

I've been looking at the screwfix catalogue and I've considered buying a decent one because I have to do some varnishing and wood staining indoors soon and I know from experience its not pleasant. I'm also going to have to clear up a load of dust from when part of the lath and plaster ceiling collapsed (and more may yet collapse). Would a nuisance dust one be ok for the plaster dust?

But whats the difference between mist/vapour/fumes? Is MDF considered a toxic particle or a non toxic dust? In screwfix theres one called a maintenance free respirator 13038-75, does this mean you don't have to replace the filters?

I guess some of the others are meant to be disposable, but how do you know when to replace them?

I don't know much about masks but I want one for occasional DIY use, (oil based paint/ solvent/ wood stain/ wood/ MDF cutting) ideally not one where you have to replace the filters after 28 days. If anyone could recommend the sort I need I would be grateful.

Thank you in advance for any help

Amanda :)

Sponsored Links
I can't access Screwfix to see what they offer but here's an article on nuisance dust masks.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2003/e03003.htm

Now you see why they don't use them any more!

However, you have to remember that a dust mask will only filter dust. It will NOT filter fumes from varnish or wood stain. Make sure you have adequate ventilation when doing this sort of work.

If you're going to do anything that is involved with breaking something physically, e.g. knocking down a wall, cutting wood, MDF, sanding, etc, then you're going to get dust particles of all different sizes. The finer the filter the cleaner the air you're going to breathe as the filter will trap the particles and stop them going down your airways.

If you're working with a substance that gives off a vapour it can take various forms. It can be in tiny droplets or as a gas, both of which will pass straight through a normal filter and not give you any protection - hence the need for ventilation.

If you are doing dusty work then it's worth changing the filters in accordance with the usage instructions as they will clog up over time.

Sorry I can't help with a type of mask but anything is better than nothing!!

(BTW - Having just read the HSE article, I'll be ditching my nuisance mask later on this evening and getting something better!)

Hi Ian

Thank you for your reply.

Thats made things a little clearer. I think, like you, I'll consider more carefully in the future what mask I use.

Sponsored Links
Best disposable dust/particle masks on the market is a 3M disposable 8835, these have the small "button" on the front which is in fact a one way breather valve, designed to let you breathe through the firbre material of the mask and expell through the valve. Best full mask for particles and vapours are the 3M range which start 7*** or 6***, used in conjunction with the correct filters they give maximum protection against Organic/ammonia/ether vapours and dust particles right down to 0.2Micron in size. The types of filter you would require for the jobs you have described would be classed as A2/P3 this is the protection rating of the filter. The A2 is the level of vapour protection and the P3 is the level of particle protection
This type of rated filter is ideal for the majority of DIY/trade jobs where respiratory ppe (personal protective equipment) is required. If you require a filter for different types of gases then these are available but they are expensive.

As for when you need to change the filters, i always change my particle filter after each job, and the vapour filter every 3 months, the change time is down to you really depending on the usage of the respirator.

How do i know all this....spent 15 years as an MDI technician working for 3M, using PPE every bl**dy day

Disclamer! This is my suggestion based on personal experience of working with the mask. Please read all the instruction that come with the mask- should you decide to buy one

Couldn't agree more about the importance of quality in this area. I have alway's found Arco(although not the cheapest) to be one of the best for both choice and advice in all safety gear.

Their free catalogue is very good.

Simwallplumbtiler - thank you very much for your detailed reply. Thats really useful, I looked on the 3m website but it wasn't as useful as the info you've provided. I bought a disposable one in the end because I needed to get on with a job, that was a P2 and had a valve. It was A LOT better than a nuisance mask, even then I ended up with some dust in my mouth, but it was a very dusty job- pulling down plaster on lath and plaster ceiling. I think the valve did make it easier to breathe as you say.

Mild mannered janitor - I'm really glad I did buy a decent mask, no more nuisance masks for me!

David and julie - thank you for the recommendation.

Thank you again to those who replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back