Dust settling on new paint job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've sanded a few window sills and skirting baords down, wiped down with white spirit, undercoated, sanded bristles and bits out, wiped down again, then glossed, then sanded bristle and bits out, then glossed again. But there's still a slightly bitty texture to the paintwork (just on the sills), which I'm assuming is dust. What's the best way to defeat the bits? I've tried hoovering the carpet beforehand with no joy.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a lot of bristles on your cill...are you using a decent brush?

Sand it down again...and hoover it.

Get yourself a new brush, wash it out spin it between your hands and allow it to dry.

The paint your using might be full of crud by now, get a new tin.

open the window a little, this may help blow airbourne dust in the room away

Dont wear a fluffy jumper when you paint, they shed loads of fibres...stick a tee shirt on,

Before you open the tin dust it of first

Give the cill a wipe with the palm of your hand..the static picks up loads of dust.

Paint the cill and leave the room and shut the door

There will always be a certain amount of airbourne dust that settles on a flat surface..unless your painting in a lab the perfect paint job is impossible.

Thanks Zampa, I think it might just be your last line that is my problem, as everything else I can tick off the list. Thanks anyway. Carpet is being replaced soon, so will try again once the floor is bare and vacuumed.

Right then..if your going to have the carpet up wet the floor before you do the cill, better still give it a coat od thinned out PVA to bind the dust down

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa. Do you mean wet it and wipe it or just wet it?

Help said:
Thanks Zampa. Do you mean wet it and wipe it or just wet it?

Thin down the PVA..I the ratio for dust proffing should be on the side of the tin, but I think its about 10:1

Then brush it over the floor using a soft broom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back