Dyson DC03 How do I dismantle???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace the power cord on my Dyson Vacuum cleaner as it has failed at the strain relief gland where it enters the machine near the handle.

Trouble is, I cannot see how to get the thing apart! Has anyone stripped one before? or have a diagram that may be of use?

I hate admitting defeat but, really don't want to mess up the casing trying to open it up.

Thanx in advance!

Sponsored Links
you dont say which one, i have just had a quick look at the dyson site, didnt see any manuals (but was a v.quick look. but they will come to you (£49.00 inc parts) a bit much for a lead i know. see the dyson site which is here

You should give them a ring just incase they've been a recall (?) maybe weak fault or been a modification and they might be interested to hear from you for the manufacting future as you always find they are always looking for improvement.

Well, i decided to have another look at the Dyson as I wasn't prepared to pay £50 to have a new lead on my 'quality' hoover, I mean vacuum cleaner!

I also couldn't bear the noise of using my work 'wet n' dry' jobby, (F14 noise simulator!)

And voila! two seconds later, I discovered that the power button pops off by gently levering under the front edge. Now I'm sure I tried that already!!

Why is it, when you go back to somethings, it just works...

I shall sleep better tonight!

Yes, I'm sad... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've just done exactly the same on my DC03. The break was in the Live (brown) wire right at the end of the cable strain device.

Just for reference;

To remove the power switch you need to gently lever under the REAR of the switch, not the front as described below. If you push the switch down and hold it, a quite large gap appears on the edge nearest the mast/handle into which a screwdriver easily fits. You might find it easier with the mast/handle removed.

I used two standard red spade connectors for the shortened wire.

I put two quite large ty-raps on the cable just inside the housing to act as a cable strain device. It works quite well.

Good luck.

Although I don't think Dysons are as good as they're cracked up to be, they do have a very good repair service. Not that it matters now in your case.

It works quite well.

Good luck.

good luck to whom?

The question was asked nearly 5 years ago

mildmanneredjanitor Post Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2004

If your "information" has an error (it does not look that conceise to me :cry: ) how will anyone get in touch with you?

Please don't hi-jack posts with only "half a story" unless you intend to stay.

I have no doubt admin or a mod will delete this, but to them i say this:

I have do have a valid point.

This thread should be stickied.
I am a proud owner of a DC03 which I've had since 2002 and I was in the same situation where I needed to remove a damaged section of cord.

To remove the power switch you need to gently lever under the REAR of the switch, not the front

I can confirm that this is correct. Basically, there are two lugs on the yellow power switch which are secured by recesses in the housing, so you've got to sort of get your screw driver in at the side but towards the back, push side of button inwards and housing outwards to release the lugs. When i get time, I will post pictures to demonstrate what I mean. You have to be really careful because these babies are old now; the plastic will easily snap if too much force is applied so don't be aggressive, but be firm as you prise.
Be patient and all will be revealed. Now I'm off to make the repair to the cabling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back