E7 power supply / storage heaters / new location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, here's one for ya!

I have just removed a storage heater in my lounge and replaced it with an electric fireplace but I can only use it during E7 hours because that is when the power supply is put through that socket.

Having removed that storage heater, I have reinstalled it in the bedroom (replacing an electric heater) which, of course, does not have the E7 power supply!

I also am planning to install a second storage heater in the hallway which currently only has a conventional three-pin appliance socket and I would like to convert that to E7 as well!

Has anyone got any ideas how I would go about re-wiring particular sockets into the E7 supply and vice versa?

Cheers, guys!

Sponsored Links
Most E7 supplies go to a separate fuseboard with a separate (usually 15/16A) fuse for each radiator. There is a separate cable going to each heater.

First off you can disconnect the cables that go to the heaters that have been removed. At the fuseboard end, move those cables onto spare positions in your normal 24hour fuseboard and protect the circuit with the appropriate fuse/cb (20A max for 2.5mm cable).
At the far end (where the old radiator used to be) you can plop a single or double socket on the end of the cable. Hey presto.

To install new rads its the reverse:
Run 2.5mm cable to the new position
Install a 20A doble pole switch on the end to connect the rad to.
At the E7 fusebaord end connect the cable up to the spare fuse THEN:

- Get out your 16th edition tester.
- Do all the tests appropriate for a new circuit.
- Fill out an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Its notifiable work so you know what to do if you are registered. If you aren't then tell Building Control before you start. Also check out the agreement for the E7, you may need to consult the DNO if you increase the load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back