Earth and Neutral swapped on shower unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into a house last year. Wiring is not too bad but there's been some ropey DIY botches found (earths taped together behind ceiling roses etc) but puzzled/concerned about latest find. I need to replace an electric shower that's gone US. I've no problem with the installation as it's a basic swap - like for like. However, when uninstalling I noticed that the earth is attached to the neutral and vice versa.
The shower's worked fine (until it broke!!) for 12 months but I'm obviously concerned with the wiring. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
This isnt right as your prob well aware of.
I would check all connections - at the shower switch and at the consumer unit ( only if you feel confident enough, if not get a spark in). I presume your shower isn't RCD protected?

Thanks for getting back so quick. You're right - it's not RCD protected and I'm not confident enough to check it myself so I'll get a spark in. Cheers

Sponsored Links
No probs, you should ask your spark to fit an RCD unit. Best to be safe rather than sorry :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back