Earth at gas meter not connected - Danger??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We went travelling a while back and had tour flat re-wired for a certificate required by our estate agents. I'm now putting ina new kitchen and have discovered that the earth leading outside to the gas meter box is simply pushed up into it and not connected. Firstly, is this hideously dangerous?? Secondly, can I connect it or do you "have" to be qualified?? Second question is...where do you install cooker sockets? When the re-wire was done, they didn't put in a cooker circuit, just plugged the cooker into the kitchen ring under the cooker unit (Ididn't find this until I pulled it all out!). I don't really want one of those big fat cooker switches on the wall, what are the options? Can this be put under the worktop behind the cooker with a fused switch above the worktop?? What is the normal practice??

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Screwed said:
Hello,

We went travelling a while back and had tour flat re-wired for a certificate required by our estate agents. I'm now putting ina new kitchen and have discovered that the earth leading outside to the gas meter box is simply pushed up into it and not connected.

Firstly, is this hideously dangerous??

It's not hideously dangerous, but its certainly not ideal, and makes me wonder how good the rest of the wiring job is! If the company is still going I would certainly insist they send someone qualified back to check the installation over. :evil:

Screwed said:
Secondly, can I connect it or do you "have" to be qualified??

Certainly you can, and should. Its not notifiable under the Part P regs if that is what you were wondering.

All that is needed is a bonding clamp, available from your local shed or electrical installer. Be aware you need to make the connection on your side of the gas meter. I would also check that it is connected to something at the other end! :)

Screwed said:
Second question is...where do you install cooker sockets? When the re-wire was done, they didn't put in a cooker circuit, just plugged the cooker into the kitchen ring under the cooker unit (Ididn't find this until I pulled it all out!). I don't really want one of those big fat cooker switches on the wall, what are the options? Can this be put under the worktop behind the cooker with a fused switch above the worktop?? What is the normal practice??

Thanks!

I will leave that question for the experts, but it would help to know the rating for the new cooker/hob that you are planning to install as this will affect whether it needs its own circuit, etc.

Regards

Gavin

Pah! John beat me to it again, this time by sneakily replying to the first of 3 posts asking the same question :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back