Earth Bonding - Separate cables for Water and Gas Pipes ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new kitchen fitted very soon. The fitter and electrician turned up to perform a technical survey and identified that the exising earth bonding is insufficient.

The exisiting wiring consists of a single bonding cable running from the fuse box to the water pipework, and then onto the gas supply pipework. The electrician stated that a separate cable is required from the fuse box to both the water and the gas pipes (at extra cost).

This is a big problem because a large amount of the ground flooring would need to be lifted to run another cable.

Are two cables needed by BS7671 ?
Is a single - unbroken cable acceptable?
Should I sack my electrician?

All advice appreciated.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Not ideal to use just one cable, but it is allowed, so long as the cable isn't cut. ie. it is ran through the first bonding clip.

What size is the existing cable? That will be a problem if it is below 10mm.

Thanks Har_vey.

The cable is 10mm so looks like the work is un-necessary....

The house was built 14 years ago, have the requirements/ standards changed since then ?

Stuart

Sponsored Links
I've just had this out with the IEE. You can use a single cable, and it doesn't even have to be unbroken, according to BS7671.

There is a BS (forgotten the number!) under which it is advised to use unbroken cable if you rely on one conductor, but as I said, this is not in the regs.

Don't shoot me down, this info was given to me yesterday by IEE...

Just spoken to the Electrician who stated that the requirement for separate cables for the water and gas was in the latest IEE On Site Guide. Can anyone confirm this ?

Stuart

I was always taught that a single (unbroken) cable to Water then Gas was perfectly acceptable. This certainly satisfies BS7671 as well. Your electrician may just have his own standards that he works by (Providing a separate conductor to each would be slightly better as if one is cut, the other still works!) but it is not against the regs or unsafe!

swaudby said:
Just spoken to the Electrician who stated that the requirement for separate cables for the water and gas was in the latest IEE On Site Guide. Can anyone confirm this ?

Stuart

Diagrams 4a-4c in the On-Site Guide (latest edition) show separate bonding conductors but all have notes stating that 'Main equipotential bonding conductors may be separate or looped with unbroken conductors'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back