Earth cross-bonding in flats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Merry Christmas all,

I live in a ground floor flat of a house converted into two flats. Both flats are supplied with electricity from separate overhead cables. There are two earth rods outside the front of the building.

After pulling up the floorboards to inspect my dry rot (that's another story ) i've discovered the following. One earth rod is connected to my gas & water pipes and upstairs water pipes. The other is connected to upstairs gas pipe. Both earth leads head up to my CU. I'm guessing, but I think one heads into my CU and the other heads upstairs to their CU.

Can you help:
1) Should both flats be cross-bonded or entirely separate? i.e. can I cross-bond all rods, gas & water pipes then send leads off to both CU's?
2) For overhead cables does the earth have to be via a rod? Can it be by PME or the supply sheath?
3) If my earth is via a rod do I have to have an RCD at the CU? I have an old CU with no RCD.

Cheers in advance
Dan

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the rods they are no longer needed cos all earthing is done by the supply.

Everything should be cross-bonded whether or not it's yours, better to be safe than sorry :D .

Well, someone had to :)

If my answer is wrong then hopefully someone will put me right!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back