earth loop impedance reading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi lads, tested an installation yesterday using a robin installation tester (had it about 2 years). testing the external earth loop i had 0.17 ohms (TNS supply) this seemed very low to me as the PSCFC will be near the 2K mark. Does anyone else agree that this is too low??

Sponsored Links
don't worry about loop impedance being low at least on domestics its high you've got to watch out for.

The PSCC you give is still easilly within the normal ratings of domestic MCBs (6KA) and even if it was higher than that you have back up protection from the service fuse (iirc a BS1361 which is what they tend to fit has a breaking capacity of 15KA a BS88 iirc has an insanely high breaking capacity).

plugwash said:
don't worry about loop impedance being low at least on domestics its high you've got to watch out for.

The PSCC you give is still easilly within the normal ratings of domestic MCBs (6KA) and even if it was higher than that you have back up protection from the service fuse (iirc a BS1361 which is what they tend to fit has a breaking capacity of 15KA a BS88 iirc has an insanely high breaking capacity).

I thought they were normally bs88 which is breaks somewhere near 80k :eek: , think some bs1361 have something like 33k, (there are two types, 1 and 2, IIRC) with 2 being 33k, and 1 being 15k

* reads boring stuff on the iee forum too much *

Sponsored Links
it seems to vary by region different aprkys claim different things but i think a 15KA breaking is about the lowest you will see on a service fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back