Earth Rod Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently doing some work for a friend, I have now removed the mixture of VIR and stranded T&E and reduced the install to one double socket and 110v festoon lighting.

The cable and cutout have been replaced fairly recently as they are in what lookes like 0.25, however the cable runs from next door (semi) under the house in metal conduit (unearthed / bonded at out our end.) and the only earth is provided from 6mm cable from the lead water pipe.

Problem is, the water pipe is going and is being repaced with MDPE very shortly, so No earth connection from there and the gas is being redone externally (currently plastic anyway) so no earth from there.

Given past experience of trying to get YEDL/NEDL/Meterplus to provide an earth - And looking at the ESQCR regs they are only obliged to supply an earth connection on a new installation.

So:

Can I use the fact that there cable is in a metal duct for the basis of getting an earth terminal provided, alternatively - and the current plan is to at least install an earth rod (obviously test it).

1 Does it need to be outdoors? I guess it would help, however we have recently bricked up the coal shed and currently have a mud floor in the house where we are going to put joists over the top of.. however this leads on to point 2.

2 Does the connection at the top of the rod need to be accessible? Im assuming it does?

3 Does it need to run vertically? - Can I throw it in the hole we will use to remove the old water pipe? See point 2 and 4

4 If it needs to be accessible and vertical Then I presume I can use a 'Earth Rod' Pit and run ducting into the house and slide the 16mm within this?

Hope this makes sense, please point out if im missing anything blindingly obvious.

David

Sponsored Links
0800 375 675, option 1.

YEDL will provide an earth terminal (it's all PME now) free of charge. Just ask them, but be aware you'll have to wait for it. (up to 3 months currently... they're still trying to keep up with my three or four requests a week!)

Make sure you ask them nicely and get a job reference number.

They will not make the final connection, by the way, so you'll have to go back and do that.

...the water pipe is going and is being repaced with MDPE very shortly, so No earth connection from there ...
Not allowed since 1966.
...and the gas is being redone externally (currently plastic anyway) so no earth from there...
Never been allowed.

You sure you know what you're doing?

hi david, how's it going?

I'm wanting an earth as well, better get my request in quick. when I asked YEDL about it, I was told it would be free or cost £30 + VAT.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back