Earth Rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to install an earth bond to my incoming gas supply as it doesn't have one. Problem is the meter is at the back of the house and the CU is at the front. Rather than running a n earth cable right through the house can I make a bond to an earth rod sunk in the back garden? If so what size should the rod be?

Any help would be appreciated

Nick

Sponsored Links
NO

the whole point of bonding pipework to your houses earthing system is to make sure everything is held at the same potential in the case of a fault.

Sponsored Links
Just to add my 2 penceworth, I agree. The earth in the ring main is far too small to be adequate.

I'd bite the bullet as much of a pain as it can be (I know from doing it in my house about 6 months ago) especially as the 10mm cable is not the easiest to work with.

Are all your boiler pipes cross bonded? (assuming you have a boiler?)

jime17 said:
especially as the 10mm cable is not the easiest to work with.

If you think that 10mm is bad, then you obviously woudn't like the 95mm Earth's I had to install today, along with 240mm DI Singles for a supply to a Busbar Chamber and then the 95mm to 180mm feeds to the Isolators and DB's the chamber fed..

Trust me, 10mm is a piece of urine in comparison :D

And I nearly cut the end of my finger off to boot!! (Sorry for the bitch..bad day)

blimey, that was a bad day by the sounds.

Thank god I didnt go down the road of having all my sockets fed by a bus bar! I dont know how I'd have fed it inder the floor boards! :LOL:

What about the tenby clamps in the immersion cupboard, and a length of 10 or 16 sq.mm. cable linking it back to the main consumer unit? :LOL: :LOL:

Gas mains should have direct earth back to CU and not via any other source, especially one that has a much smaller cs earth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back