Earth seems to be live

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm adding new three core wire to a switch because it had no earth. The switch turns the light on and off now, but the earth shows up live when I turn the switch on (tested it with a voltage testing screwdriver).

I tested the feedIn and feedon earth at the ceiling rose with a voltage testing screwdriver and it shows no voltage. I disconnected the earth from the switch to the ceiling rose at the ceiling rose, but it still shows up live when I turn the switch on.

Connecting all the earths causes the circuit to trip.

This doesn't sound like how it should be working, any ideas ???

Sponsored Links
WhenIHaveTime said:
I'm adding new three core wire to a switch because it had no earth. The switch turns the light on and off now, but the earth shows up live when I turn the switch on (tested it with a voltage testing screwdriver).

I tested the feedIn and feedon earth at the ceiling rose with a voltage testing screwdriver and it shows no voltage. I disconnected the earth from the switch to the ceiling rose at the ceiling rose, but it still shows up live when I turn the switch on.

Connecting all the earths causes the circuit to trip.

This doesn't sound like how it should be working, any ideas ???

First thing, get a proper meter and test the voltage between the earth and neutral. If its 240v, you got a problem. If it is 0v or something negligable, throw the testing screwdriver away.

In either case, I would suggest you isolate the circuit until the problem is resolved.

Incidentally, live earths would suggest that you have wired it up wrong and without connecting it to earth... otherwise a live earth would cause a short circuit.
Just look at all the connections you have made and if a Red and a Green wire occupy the same terminal, call an electrician and dont try DIY again.... ;)

Sorry, you have added a 3 core cable (I assume a standard twin and earth) and wired the two ends of the earth to what?

I assume in the switch it is wired to the metal box, or at least the small terminal on the back of the box in the case of plaster surface mounts?

Then the other end to the earth terminal in the ceiling rose, which also has the lighting circuit earth wired to it?

Does a MCB trip-out, or a fuse blow, when something is operated?

Sponsored Links
Call an Electrician, you could end up making the problem worse if you play with it further.

With respect, if you knew what you were doing to start with, you would have no need to post the question.

Apologies if it seems a bit harsh, but electricity kills.

FWL_Engineer said:

didn't you mean to say "electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one"

breezer said:
FWL_Engineer said:

didn't you mean to say "electricity has no prejudices, it kills any one"

No I meant to say what I said..period.

And I thought I was bad for bickering. I can smell the testosterone from here.

securespark said:
And I thought I was bad for bickering. I can smell the testosterone from here.

I do not see this as bickering, Breezer asked if I meant something else, I did not and I answered his question, so perhaps we can drop this now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back