Earth wires and main RCD isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently removing the tatty old box surrounding my meter and CU etc. and wish to move the main leccy board RCD isolator as it will be in the way of a cupboard.

The earth is connected to the RCD first, then from the RCD to the CU - overhead wires (tt supply?)

I'm not sure that I have enough slack in the earth cable (from the rod side) can I extend this earth wire? Or can I connect this to the CU?

So the new setup would be, earth wire from the rod to the CU, then earth wire to the RCD.

Didn't know whether this would be acceptable as there would be a joint between the rod and main RCD.

Hope that's clear :eek:

Sponsored Links
The Main Bond of any installation should NEVER have a joint in it.

Put simply, I want to terminate all earthing to the earth strip in the consumer unit.

Should have said that in the first place...

In my opininion, this would be a better electrical connection than the two wires connected via the terminal in the isolator RCD.

Sponsored Links
All Main Earthing conductors in any installation should all connect into a Main Earth Block.

IE.
Main Supply/Rod Earth to Block.
Main Equipotential Bonding Conductors to Block
Earth to Consumer unit and other Mains Distribution Kit to Block.

There should be no joints in any bonding conductor except at the mains or at a recognised Earthing point in the installation.

proper main earth terminals are uninsulated metal blocks with 2 screws for each connection

the main earth the earths to the consumer units and the main equipotential bonds should all be conencted here

Plug there is no harm in taking bonding conductors to earth term in CU.

What I meant to say was main bonding conductors ie gas, water, rsj's, ducting etcetera...

Do electricians ever agree on anything??? :LOL:

After reading through the post again...

No joints in earth cable connection.

Use an Main Earth Block (er, that's a joint innit??) :eek:

I'm not critisising btw, I expect you all have forgotten more than I will ever learn!

(the fact of the matter is, the NICEIC installation I have is not wired in a fashion you all describe!)

securespark said:

Simon...your not supposed to do this actually!!

mildmanneredjanitor said:
No joints in earth cable connection.

Use an Main Earth Block (er, that's a joint innit??) :eek:

FWL_Engineer said:
There should be no joints in any bonding conductor except at the mains or at a recognised Earthing point in the installation

MMJ...that was what I said at the end of the other post...

FWL_Engineer said:
securespark said:

Simon...your not supposed to do this actually!!

YOU WHAT?

So why do MK have, clearly marked on their CU earth bar, 2 terms for "BONDING"??

FWL

I can't find your post, but I'm sure you've posted recently that main bonding cables can terminate at CU block, rather than main earth block...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back