EASY ONE FOR YOU FOLKS....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,

Welcome everyone and congratulations on a very educational website.

I am posting because I am not 100% sure and just wanted to check before I shoot across the room with my hair stuck up on end!

1) I have a livingroom rose light.
2) It has in the ceiling screw bit 4 blacks - Flex Neutral (goes to blue on the light)
3) It has 4 red (Loop in)
4) It has 1 black Flex Line (goes to brown on the light) suspected switch Positive?

I am installing two wall lights for the good lady and I have channeled out the wall, installed my 3 wire 3amp light cables. Lifted the floorboards upstairs and well thats about it so far....

I have no problem attaching the wall lights at their end but I am confused as to how to wire them in to the rose fitment (see above)

The wall lights have pull switches on so I want them to come on and off regardless of weather the main light is on. So basically the main light can be off but I can turn the wall lights on with their pull switches.

I expect the Blue goes to the flex neutral but where does my Browm wire go to give me a live feed avoiding the switch??? Also I assume the Earth goes to the Earth?

Am I correct in saying rather that putting the Brown on to the Black Flex Line I should attach it to the Loop in to have a constant live feed?

PS - 3amp lighting wire is ok isnt it the runs are 5 meters each? Hope so because Ive now plastered over them, its just an electricial recommended 1.5amp but I felt safer with 3amp...

Thanks guys in advance

Luke.

Sponsored Links
as you've said,connect your brown wire the the group of red wires in the rose. The blue wire connects with the blacks in the neutral of the rose. and earth to earth as you said.

I'm a bit worried by your comments on the wire, is it twin and earth? or flex? i say this as you dont get 3 amp twin and earth, is your cable round and stranded? (flex) or is stiff, with a bare earth wire in it?

Also as your are mixing colours you should affix a warning label on your consumer unit.

Basically when I called my friend who is an electricial he recommended 1.5 amp wiring.

When I went to B&Q I noticed their cable 3amp for lighting ie table type lamps etc.

I purchased this as I couldnt find the 1.5amp.

The cable is basically the same as you would see in a table lamp type fitment its basically white plastic with three cables inside and the copper in the wire twists together in strands.

They are max 5meter runs and the wall lights are 40w x 2 on each. So 1 x 5 meter flex would power 2 x 40w bulbs.

Thanks for your help,

Luke.

I'm guessing that your friend recommended 1.5 mm wiring, not 1.5A. !.5 mm would be a twin and earth as Chris suggested. Therefore, I'm not sure if your "3A" is suitable - Chris any thoughts?? :?:

Sponsored Links
Right ok,

Aparrently its stranded Flex cable for table lighting. I have just found out I should really use Twin and Earth but would the cable I have used be ok as I have now plastered the wall back up?

oops... Im learning as I go here.

Thanks,

Luke,

Well it sounds suitibly rated, so theres nothing technically wrong withit. Its just regarded as bad practise! As you've already plastered there isn't much you can do! lol

Just leave it in and use it

Thanks for your fast reply mate, now the plasters dry lol I will assemble the wall lights and connect the other end to the block as everythings ready to go.

Thanks again all,

Luke.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back