Economy 7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

by the looks of things I have two tails from the supply outside. One set of tails goes to my standard consumer unit and the other tails go to my economy 7 CU - only my Storage heaters are connected to this.

My question is will i be getting economy 7 from both cu's during the allocated time of 11pm-6am due to me being on a E7 tariff? This is because i want to get a hot water cylinder with two immersions and i only have 1 feed for it at present which is on it's own radial 16amp mcb circuit on the standard CU. Could i use this to heat the cylinder at both times of day but not together obviously, making use of E7 and then normal rate if requiring a boost for HW?

Is guess this all depends on whether i am getting E7 from both CU's

All help appreciated, sorry for the lengthy question!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Hi depending on your set up there you should get both boards on E7 Meter during the night.
I would advise you you changing your Immersion Switch to an Economy 7 Immersion switch, this basically turns your immersion on overnight on the E7 Rate but allows you to boost the Immersion during the day if required, there about £50 far cheaper than changing tank and wiring new circuit etc.....

I said:
adwt2004 said:
My question is will i be getting economy 7 from both cu's during the allocated time of 11pm-6am due to me being on a E7 tariff?
Those tails should be connected to a dual-tariff meter. If they are, then the answer to your question is "no".
I apologise - I misread your question. Both CUs will operate at the cheap rate during the off-peak period, so the answer is "yes".

adwt2004 said:
My question is will i be getting economy 7 from both cu's during the allocated time of 11pm-6am due to me being on a E7 tariff?

All E7 setup's I know of WILL GIVE YOU the night/cheap rate on all of your supply, so YES.

There are other 2rate tariffs available which people tend to call E7 that might not give you cheap rate on everything.

As you said your allocated times are 11.00 - 06.00 it does sound as if you have E7 as the allocated times in our area (which yours are probably similar) are 00.00 - 07.00 give or take any hour each way to compensate for clocks going back / forward in spring and autumn.

Post a pic and we should be able to confirm you have E7 and that all the electric used will be charged at cheap rate when available.

Sponsored Links
Ok, will post some pics. Does sound like i get economy 7 from both CU's but i'll post them to confirm. Really appreciate everyones advice.

cheers!

If you have an old fashioned time switch meter as I do check the period it switches in/out is correct.

My eco7 period comes on at 6am and runs till 1pm.

Its great for doing the washing, tumble drying, pool heater, etc when people are actually awake and able to utilise it!

jayc said:
If you have an old fashioned time switch meter as I do check the period it switches in/out is correct.

My eco7 period comes on at 6am and runs till 1pm.

Your time clocks drifted out.

Will be corrected as soon as the DNO spot it. sorry ;)

And how exactly do you make it drift out on an old fashioned disk meter, we're talking moving it forwards by about an hour or two so it finishes at 8am :p

Mine finishes at 8am anyway, 1am-8am

(and its not drifted out because its a teleswitch not a timeclock)

Thinking about, i'm sure i've seen the term "teleswitch" on my meter. Looks like my plan wouldn't work. :cry:

The meter has been read several times and not spotted yet!

jayc said:
The meter has been read several times and not spotted yet!

Although they should spot things like a timer out or a feed from a lamp post :eek: , a lot of the time it goes missed due to they amount of work they have (get in, get a reading, get out).
Plus I've heard the turn around of meter reading staff is horrific so most of the time a none experienced chap would turn up and not know if a timer were out or not.

They'll be a essex DNO man like me that'll spot it don't worry jayc ;) :LOL:

Do you read meters in Essex? If so perhaps i should change my name so you don't track me down!

Well I better keep my eye on it anyhow. I certainly don't want to be charged 19p per unit for heating my pool!

It was ok 2 weeks ago so I'll make it a regular check just to make sure i'm getting my 75% discount :)

No I don't.

But since were starting to move out of area who knows. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back