Ecotec fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice please.

My Valliant Ecotec Pro boiler failed to turn on this morning with the fault led on.
The fault code was F.75 - "No pressure rise detected when turning on the pump"
The status code was S.97 - "water pressure sensor check is running"

The system pressure gauge was indicating about 1.5bar and the pump shaft was seen to be spinning behind the screw during the startup cycle, but the fault was still there after several resets.
I telephoned a plumber friend and he said he had experienced sensors becoming blocked by debris and that you could test them with a matchstick through the hole and measure the resistance across the contacts. I thought this would be worth a try before buying a new sensor.

I drained the system (was relieved to see clear water coming out) and removed the pressure sensor in the CH flow pipe (hoping that this was the right part). I carefully pushed a matchstick into the hole and felt a click but no more clicks after retrying and I hoped that I hadn't pushed the diaphram (?) beyond a point of no return.
It had three wires and I could only measure about 160kohm across two of the contacts, which didn't change with matchstick movement. It seemed likely that the sensor was a variable resistance type rather than a switched contact.

With nothing to lose I refitted the sensor and to my relief the boiler worked again. Maybe I had cleared a stuck condition of the sensor ?.

Does it sound like the sensor is on it's way out ?, has anyone else had similiar experiences ?
Am I right to assume that the sensor was the cause of the fault ?

I would be grateful for any advice

Sponsored Links
I have heard of this nuisance problem and its sometimes put down to air in the pump if the system is clean but no real problem is ever found.

I understand thats a pressure transducer and I would never advise poking anything into it ! Would you like a match poked into your ear?

Since its working again now I think you have been very lucky not to have caused any damage!

The transducer is more likely to be a piezo or an inductive type rather than a variable resistance. Does anyone know exactly how they work?

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony.

Yes, I did feel relieved that I hadn't caused any damage to the sensor, but with the prospect of buying a new sensor I felt there wasn't much to lose.
What was more worrying was the wet pcb following the gush of remaining water when the sensor was removed. Luckily a hairdryer sorted that out.

I'll know next time to keep the pcb covered !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back