Electric connections to replacement electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace an existing electric shower, and want to check that the installation left behind by the previous house owner was up to regulations.

The old shower was a Heatrae Sadia Sapphire

At present the mains electricity supply comes down from the ceiling inside plastic conduit. The conduit ends at the top dead centre of the shower control box and the cable then makes it way down through the control box to the terminal block. It has to make an upward loop, which I suppose would prevent any accidental trickle down the cable from ever finding its way to the termial block.

A. Is it acceptable to have cables inside plastic conduit in a shower cubicle, or should they be chased into the wall.(I can't see anything in the regulations stipulating this) ?

B. I would like to run the conduit down from the sealing right next to the cold water pipe, and inside the shower unit the cable would run alongside the pipe. Is this OK. ?

The cable size is up to spec, and the shower manufacturers (Galaxy) are not much help.

I am from a defence background, and so would expect some sort of sealing gland grommet/washer to the electrical supply. But a browse at several DIY superstores all show very "relaxed" arrangements for the routing of mains power supplies into electric showers. Am I just being a bit too careful ?

Sponsored Links
belmont93 said:
A. Is it acceptable to have cables inside plastic conduit in a shower cubicle, or should they be chased into the wall.(I can't see anything in the regulations stipulating this)?

Yes but it looks pretty ugly so i'd rather chase it in personally

B. I would like to run the conduit down from the sealing right next to the cold water pipe, and inside the shower unit the cable would run alongside the pipe. Is this OK. ? Yes it should be in the "safe zone".

The cable size is up to spec, and the shower manufacturers (Galaxy) are not much help.

What size is it then and how far is the run?

Am I just being a bit too careful ? No not at all, you're being sensible

belmont93 said:
and so would expect some sort of sealing gland grommet/washer to the electrical supply. But a browse at several DIY superstores all show very "relaxed" arrangements for the routing of mains power supplies into electric showers. Am I just being a bit too careful ?

Mastic or plumbers putty will help amd make sure the supplementary bonding is complete.

Need to know:

How big the cable is.

How big the shower is.

The rating of the iso switch?

Is there an RCD?

Is there supplementary bonding?

Is there main equipotential bonding to gas & water or any other supplies?

The rating of the CPD?

Rating of meter & consumer unit main switch?

Sponsored Links
a photo of your main fuseboard / consumer unit will tell a lot about the safety of the shower. and a pic of the shower will tell a us more of the sketchyness of the actual install.

tumbleweed.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back