Electric Immersion Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have an electric immersion heater. It wasn't producing any hot water so I changed the thermostat a couple of days ago and it started to work again. Unfortunately it isn't working again. I presume the element is the cause of the problem.

My main question is:

For a new immersion heater do I need an electrician or a plumber? Sorry for the silly question!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
plumber, electricians wont want anything to do with the water side of things.

dont know what the waters like but if its soft e.g corrosive like it is down here,then i see a lot of probs with pinholed immersions causing the stat to blow. could need a new one, but for the price id get them both changed anyway just make sure you get someone compotent to take the immers out otherwise cylinder could crease. then your talking not so cheap

Sponsored Links
holty said:
dont know what the waters like but if its soft e.g corrosive like it is down here,then i see a lot of probs with pinholed immersions causing the stat to blow. could need a new one, but for the price id get them both changed anyway just make sure you get someone compotent to take the immers out otherwise cylinder could crease. then your talking not so cheap

Thanks for that. I'm in Wiltshire, hard water according to the map on the back of my washing powder box!

As for competence, I am at the mercy of the number I pluck from yellow pages!

One other thing. Is this the sort of job where you call a plumber out and it all gets magically fixed the same day or is it a case of - you need the following bits and we'll be back after xmas to do it?

Pluck one from the Institute of Plumbing+Heating engineers then ;) Forget the Guild of Crafty Mastermen :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back