Electric towel rail - anyone ever used a regulator/stat ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother/father-in-law want to put an oil filled electric towel rail in their bathroom to replace the panel heater.
They have chosen a Dimplex one which would be powered via switched FCU so that they could turn it on/off if wanted, but they asked about the regulator/thermostat controls that you can use with them. Can they be used instead of the FCU, or do you feed a supply fromt he FCU to the stat, then from the stat to the heater? There is no data sheet on the Dimplex site so not sure how they are wired.
Father-in-law wanted to know as if he has to do a lot of chasing to accomodate he won;t bother as it would all be under tiles, and I'm assuming he doesn;t have any spares.
These are the towel rail & regulator:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Heating_Index/Towel_Rail_Index/Towel_Rails_2/index.html

Sponsored Links
either way, it needs an FCU, it also looks like the stat is built in

Yeah, as I thought, I'd reckon on you wiring a supply to the stat, then from there to the FCU out to the heater.
He was hoping he could do away with an FCU and just have the regulator. The regualtor is fine in the bathroom as long as it is out of reach from the bath/shower right?

I have one of these regulators on a heated towel rail, You still need to use your FCU then from that you then wire into the regulator then from there to the towel rail. The regulator that i have is basically like a dimmer switch so its not a thermostatic control. As for locating it, it is only permissible if its not in the zones. plus if this is in a bathroom or showeroom then you guessed it.................. Part P !
ps they do work very well saves little fingers getting burnt!!

Sponsored Links
Not in the zones? Surely it is acceptable in zone 3?

Hallsy said:
Not in the zones? Surely it is acceptable in zone 3?
But if then any of the accessories, or the towel rail itself (which is a fixed appliance) are in any of the bathroom zones, you do have to notify LABC in advance.

Yep, no problem, as I say I read it as being acceptable in zone 3.
And yes BAS, I am aware of special location, part P, etc - maybe it was done last year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back