Electrical advice, please

RKB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I've had some really good advice from the Plumbers about installing a shower.
I have reposted their responses below, 'cos the final question is more electrical, and is concerned about connecting an "all in one" shower unit (pump and controls in one wall mounted box). Is my thinking correct that I can use something like Screwfix 14770 to connect via a mains spur in the landing airing cupboard?
Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View previous topic :: View next topic
RKB

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:59 pm Post Subject: installing a shower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been asked to install a shower in mother in laws.
System is a none combi, with cold feed from loft tank (so hot and cold at same pressure).
If I was to recommend a good thermostatic mixer (any recommendations?), could I just not tee off existing hot and cold supplies in bathroom?
Or do I have to get involved with essex flanges?
Thanks.

Back to top Alert Moderators

ArtfulBodger

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:04 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes you do, but only if you want to do it properly oh and don't forget the new suply from the cold cistern

RKB

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:12 pm Post Subject:

Thanks Artful,
Can you explain the "new supply from the cold cistern"?

kevplumb

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:46 pm Post Subject:

you need to balance the feed pressure so normally shower has its own supply from the head tank feeding the cylinder

RKB

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:14 pm Post Subject:

Hi Kevplumb,
OK, I understand the reasoning.
What is thge best way to connect a supply from the cylinder feed tank? Do you actually tap into the tank (is there a fitting to do that?), or feed off the line out of the tank to the cylinder, i.e. into the existing pipe?
Thanks..

kevplumb

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:18 pm Post Subject:

tap into the tank preff lower than where the cylinder feed comes out

hot runs out first

RKB

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:35 pm Post Subject:

Understand..
Thanks Kev

ChrisR

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:29 am Post Subject:

If it's from the loft to the floor below, you'll have a piddling shower unless you pump it. Easiest is probably a pumped box-on-the-wall like an Aqualisa Aquastream (£300+) or a Mira (£less) or a NewTeam (£130?)

kevplumb

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:31 am Post Subject:

have they sorted the newteams out now
they used to be a g*t for springing leaks

RKB

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:01 am Post Subject:

Thanks for the suggestions.
If I was to go with an "all in one" solution, which was mains driven, would I need to get a sparks in to install it on a dedicated RCD at the CU. Or can they run of a spurred FCU /RCD, so in the airing cupboard on the landing?

Sponsored Links
having frightened myself by typing in 14470 into screwfix (double four or double 7)...., :oops: my error and as I relise you meant the RCD flex outlet rather than the carpet tape, er yes of course you can, actually the RCD part isn't compulsory, but I'd recommend it in a modern installation!
I am assuming this is the sort of shower with no heater, and the current is a few hundred watts for a pump, not thousands of watts, so a spur off the ring or other socket circuit is fine. If the latter type of shower though then it needs its own feed.

M.

PS to anyone wondering, carpet tape is not acceptable in the UK for permanent wiring :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back