Electrical Rating help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need to replace the shower in our bathroom. The old shower was an Aquatron EII 7kw shower, which was being fed by 4mm2 cable.

The shower I bought to replace it is a Triton Ivory 2 rated at 8.5kw (although the packing states 7.8-8.5kw).

My questions are:

1) Do I need to replace the cabling to 10mm2?

2) The consumer unit downstairs feeds the shower, but the largest fuse on any of the fuses is 30A. Am I right in thinking that this isn't enough?

3) The main switch rating on the consumer unit is 63A. Is this too low? Do I need to get the consumer unit replaced?

Thanks in advance guys

Sponsored Links
1) Maybe not as the 8.5kw is at 240volt, we are (or should be) 230volt so your shower is 7.8kw
2)If I'm right in (1) the shower will draw 33+ amp
3) Don't put the oven on if your planning a shower (We've got a 60amp mains, no probs yet );)

Should never have had 4mm in the first instance. Depends on your distance but certainly 6mm at very least, but if your replacing go for 10mm for future upgrading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back