electrical testing course

L

llewop

Hi looking for a bit of advice. I am a qualified electrician but left the trade 10 years ago and now intend getting back into it due to redundancy. I was considering going on this college course.

CITY & GUILDS INSPECTION & TESTING PART 1 (CG2391-101) (THEORY)/PART 2 (CG2391-102) (PRACTICAL)

The course cost 600 pounds. Have any of you attended this course, if so was it of any benefit to you. I already have 16th edition but not the up dated version which came out about 2003 (so I am told).

Sponsored Links
The course you quote is for people who already have a sound knowledge of the inspection, testing and certification of electrical installations. They should also have good up to date and sound knowledge of the IEE regs. It isn't really a refresher course which it sounds more like which you require - you may find the 2391 like jumping in at the deep end!!

Thanks for your reply. I was an electrical inspector 14 years ago and have been involved in all types of domestic electrical work continually since leaving the trade ie rewires extra sockets lights etc. I feel my knowledge is good enough for me to work for a contractor again. I though this course might be a benefit to me as a refresher and would help me find an employer easier if I have this qualification. would most electricians want this qualification or is it just another course nobody really needs.

sorry to hear you were made redundant, but ask your self this one question, why did you get out in the first place.

when i was redundant i considered going bak to HP, glad now i didn't

Sponsored Links
llewop said:
Thanks for your reply. I was an electrical inspector 14 years ago and have been involved in all types of domestic electrical work continually since leaving the trade ie rewires extra sockets lights etc. I feel my knowledge is good enough for me to work for a contractor again. I though this course might be a benefit to me as a refresher and would help me find an employer easier if I have this qualification. would most electricians want this qualification or is it just another course nobody really needs.

You could have a word with your local college and see what courses they have on offer. The C&G 2391 is a good qualification to hold but as I said before it isn't a refresher course, it is a qualification in Inspection,Testing & Certification of electrical installations and is aimed at people who have good knowledge of the foresaid. The 2381 (IEE regs) is a good idea before embarking on the 2391, our local centre wouldn't allow me to take the 2391 without the up to date 2381 first.

£600 seems a lot steep... the course is £180 round here..

worthwhile doing it.. you can get more money.. also needed if you want to become part P registered with some schemes..

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will look into the 2381 course as a refresher. One last point do you think I would be better doing nothing just now and waiting for the 17th edition courses to start next year. I dont want to sit a course now then find out it is out of date next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back