Electrics in a rental property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some info please prior to getting someone to carryout work. I am a landlord and the work is in my rental property. The property must be some 25-30 years old. It is two bedroom and there are two 5A lighting fuses in the fusebox. I will get these changed to MCBs

Note that I had the property checked electrically less than 5 years ago when I purchased it..it is due again soon. The electrician knew that the property was to be rented.

Whilst redecorating the bathroom I decided to remove the electrical razor point..dont want any unnecessary electrics in there..there is just a light. So I traced the cable and found that it came from a socket in the loft. So I isolated and pulled out the cable.

I found that socket fed, via twin and earth cable a FSU (3A), for the Central Heating boiler system. Tracing the supply back from the socket I found that it had been taken from a ceiling rose.

I did check the earth continuity between the rose and the FSU and it is ok. However is this legal? It doesn’t sound good to me.

As a now boiler is going in soon I have the opportunity to find another supply. There is a spur available near when the new boiler could go . Can the boiler FSU be spured off that spur. Is there a reg which says how close the Boiler FSU must be to the boiler.

Information much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
pf_mills said:
I found that socket fed, via twin and earth cable a FSU (3A), for the Central Heating boiler system. Tracing the supply back from the socket I found that it had been taken from a ceiling rose.

Note that I had the property checked electrically less than 5 years ago when I purchased it..it is due again soon. The electrician knew that the property was to be rented.
:cry:

Personally, I don't like giving electrical DIY advice to people who rent property because IMO landlords have a duty of care to their tenants and everything should be done by the book and documented. Also, you should not be carrying out electrical works in a special location unless you’re doing it in accordance with Part P.

My advice to all Landlords; spend some of your profits and get it done properly.

PS. Don’t use the same electrician who carried out the previous check as he/she needs to go on a refresher course on electrical inspections.

pensdown
thats why the guy is asking this question, because he is not to sure about the previous "qualified" electrician who did the job.

You can't spur off a spur, unless you continue off the fused side. Then you can have as many outlets as you want on what is, in effect, a radial sub-circuit fused at 13A.

There are times when this can be handy, e.g. when you have several low-powered appliances in a bunch but not handy for the ring; e,g, in a garage. In that case it can be convenient to spur off the ring at 13A unswitched, then have a switched FCU for each connected appliance (if you put sockets on it someone will probably plug kettles and sockets into it and grumble when the overload blows the fuse)

You can also use a 5A FCU to take a lighting circuit off, but this tends to cause confusion as people don't expect lights to come off a socket ring.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys

I am actually spending a lot of money here. I’m leaving this cold country soon and want everything ok before I go.
Double glazing last financial year.
New HE boiler, upgraded controls and bathroom this year. I am doing as much as I can myself but have an RGI for the corgi bit and he will also do as much of the Part P bit as he can.
I have already decided to have a new consumer unit with RCD. My preference would be to have all the circuits on the RCD. I believe that the lighting is not allowable in council property but is it ok in private rented property?

Also I didn’t say but the bonding in the bathroom was not up to spec either...it is now. I have been in the ESI all my working life but am not qualified Part P, or Part L. Thanks to all of you for your comments

pf_mills said:
...My preference would be to have all the circuits on the RCD. I believe that the lighting is not allowable in council property but is it ok in private rented property?

That is a bad move.

Suppose the kettle trips the RCD. All the lights go out. You have to make your way to the consumer unit in the dark.

Worse, you are standing on a ladder, or carrying a chip pan or saucepan of boiling water, or running down the stairs or lifting the heavy cooker when it trips, and the lights go out.

JackTheCat said:
pensdown
thats why the guy is asking this question, because he is not to sure about the previous "qualified" electrician who did the job.

I'm not tarring all landlords with the same brush but in quite a lot of cases the landlords that post electrical questions in this forum tend to be doing the work themselves. As I strongly disagree with this practice I post my advice which is call someone in and ask them.

Maybe I've seen too many lash ups that have been done by landlords in an attempt to save money.

Pensdown said:
JackTheCat said:
pensdown

I'm not tarring all landlords with the same brush but in quite a lot of cases the landlords that post electrical questions in this forum tend to be doing the work themselves. As I strongly disagree with this practice I post my advice which is call someone in and ask them.

Maybe I've seen too many lash ups that have been done by landlords in an attempt to save money.

agreed :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back