Electrics in House are not right - Please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have not long moved into a house, and have found the following:

In Bed 3 there is a twin socket that is on the ring main, from this there is a twin socket on a spur into the next room (Bedroom 1).

From this spur the cable goes up into the loft and into a 4 way junction box.

From this junction box

1st Wire goes to a twin socket on a beam in the loft - connected is a tv booster.

2nd Wire goes via 1.5mm2 (i think) to a light switch and then to the light

3rd Wire goes to another twin socket in bedroom 2.

Now I know that you should not spur off a spur, but what I have is mad.

I am thinking of 2 options to rectify this situation.

Option 1.

In between Bedroom 3 Twin Socket on ring main and First spur in Bed 1, I was thinking of adding a fused connection unit with switch of 13 amp.

Also change the cable that goes to the light switch and the 4 way junction box to 2.5mm2 and add a fused connection unit with switch of 3 or 5 amp, not sure which. This would act as the light swtich.

Option 2 (harder option)

If Possible from some of the socket below in the bedrooms that are on the ring main add 1 spur to each and push up into the loft to cover / remove sockets from the above problem.

eg Bed 2, spur off socket on Rmain in Bed 2 and route via the loft and drop down onto the other side of the room in Bed 2 to replace as a Spur on it's own. Bed 2 has a heavy load of computers etc.

From a Socket on Rmain in Bed 1 spur off up into loft to cover light circuit. (also includes upgrading cable to 2.5mm2 and adding fused connection unit with switch of 3 or 5 amp, not sure which. This would act as the light switch.

From another socket on Rmain in Bed 1 or 3 spur off up into loft and cover twin socket for tv booster.

Leave Spur in Bed 1 from Rmain twin socket in Bed 3, once above is complete.

I hope this makes sense and any and all help would really be appreicated.

Cheers

Coops 1975

Sponsored Links
Don't mix lights & sockets! You are making it very complicated because of your lack of knowledge. Call a pro.

hi jj4091

Cheers for comment. I have not done this I have found this out when boarding part of the loft. I have been looking through the large B&Q book and it states that if you have difficultly getting to a light power cable you can as long as it fused connect to the mains. This is where I got the idea of correcting the current connection with 2.5mm cable and adding a fuse connection to act as a switch. Unfortunately the B&Q book only help with the light, not with the other issues that's why I am asking for advice.

But I agree in normal conditions even I would not mix the 2, but as its already done, I'm trying to make safe.

coops

Mad, but not uncommon!!
Option 1 would work. Protect the whole spur with a 13A FCU. From the JB replace the 1.5mm cable with a 2.5 to an FCU with a 3A fuse in it and connect the light on its 1.5 cable into it. I don't like mixing cable types on a cct, but it would be safe. It would be better, though, to connect the light into the upstairs lighting radial, get rid of the JB and 'daisy chain' the 3 sockets downstream of the 13A FCU. If you are in doubt, though, do get a pro in.

Sponsored Links
Hi didthathurt / all

Thanks for advice, I have so far remove one twin socket in Bed 2 from the JB and made this a spur from an existing socket ~(still going via the loft up and over).

I have looked at the lighting circuit from existing roses on the ceiling upstairs. As the house is just 10 years I assumed that the wiring would be loop in wiring. But upon looking at the roses and all of the 4 that I have looked at upstairs and downstairs they all show only one cable entering the rose. Therefore I seemed to have junction box style, except I don't have any junction boxes anywhere in the loft for the lighting upstairs or downstairs.

Therefore cannot see how I could break into the lighting circuit without the cable being connected and controlled via a switch down below on the upstairs floor. Any ideas advice?

Cheers

Coops

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back