email store / clean up

B

breezer

I have my eamil saved to a differnt store folder than the default (no probs there)
i wnat to copy it to a "memory stick" but its too much, so i went into OE and deleted loads of "junk"
but looking in the store folder, its still there.

q1) will it be safe to delete certain folders

q2) why when i delete it in OE (and empty deleted items) why is it still in the memeory store

q3) is there a better / easier way to back up my emails

Sponsored Links
Which folder are you looking in breezer?

Have you emptied the 'trash' container in OE?

looking @ OE as a whole, its just some folders i have removed all contents, but when i look at the store folder contents (shows loads of stuff i thought i had deleted)

yep, emptied everything i should empty

I'm still wondering about the "store" folder and where you're looking...

Sponsored Links
i see.

OE has an option to "change store folder" so i did.

it has been really good as when i format c drive, and reinstall everything, i change the OE store folder from the default to where i have it, and hey presto all my emails come back

I have just removed a folder from OE after emptying it and it still shows up in the sore folder

In that case just remove the corresponding .dbx file from the store folder.

However, you'd be wise to back it up first. ;)

breezer said:
I have just removed a folder from OE after emptying it and it still shows up in the sore folder
Softus said:
remove the corresponding .dbx file from the store folder.
breezer said:
tried that, still says same :cry:
Eh? You've lost me - you said the file was in the store folder, I said remove it, you said that it's still there. :confused:

Are you saying that Windows prevents you from deleting it?

no, i have removed "unwanted" files from the store folder to make it smaller.

here is an odd thing.

i highlighted all the bits i want to keep and copy / pasted to memory stick.
cant do it stick full. really odd thing, memeory stick had stuff i did not highlight and thought i had removed from email store folder

How did you go about removing from the store folder the stuff that ended up on the memory stick?

I'm totally lost now.

I suggested deleting individual .dbx files, you say that you highlighted a folder.

I'm about to give up breezer - you're making this really hard work.

outlook recreates some files after deletion such as the pst file is this the one you tried deleting? It's not very clear from your posts what you are and are not deleting.

sorry if you are confused i will start again

OE has a store folder.

i want to back it up (copy it) but as its contents aree too big, i want to remove the files i dont want.

i open the store folder and delete stuff i dont wnat.

all files ar .dbx

just going for a sandwhich

Sponsored Links
Back