Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

Sponsored Links
EcoMan said:
Any tips on which bulbs to buy & which ones to avoid?

energy savin bulbs only save energy by not givin out light. get a 60W instead of 100W....

in terms of light output per watt flourescents (the term energy saving bulb usually means compact florescent(CFL)) are far far better than incandescents. Whether that makes up for thier problems like poor coverage of the color spectrum is however somewhat arguable)

CFLs are certainly far far better than they used to be try using some different brands and decide at what price point you feel happy with them.

Sponsored Links
? This is probably a literal translation from chinese I think

ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:
EcoMan said:

energy savin bulbs only save energy by not givin out light. get a 60W instead of 100W....
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

a few weeks ago my dad got some energy saving bulbs and put them everywhere. a lighter gives more light

andy said:
ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:
EcoMan said:

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

a few weeks ago my dad got some energy saving bulbs and put them everywhere. a lighter gives more light
where from? energy savers save energy by giving out less HEAT :rolleyes: Though i would advise to replace 60w tungsten lamps with 20w energy savers, because they do give out slightly less light. This way you get more light for your money!

crafty1289 said:
andy said:
ban-all-sheds said:
andy said:
EcoMan said:

where from? energy savers save energy by giving out less HEAT :rolleyes: Though i would advise to replace 60w tungsten lamps with 20w energy savers, because they do give out slightly less light. This way you get more light for your money!

i have a 70W fluorescent in my room. and its brighter than the 100W light

andy said:

Sounds like andy's experience of energy saving lights is with LED lights, not fluorescent.

Stoday said:
andy said:

Sounds like andy's experience of energy saving lights is with LED lights, not fluorescent.

i am well aware of the difference between LED and fluroescent. i have a 70W stirplight and never have any problems with it. aswell as it easily lights up the whole room, considerin its 1M below the ceiling under a shelf. the plug-in types i dont like. they always make the place dark and often at work we have changed the bulb in a house whilst we work

I've found the newer one OK, but they do take 5 minutes to work up to full brightness and they are generally much longer than a normal (GLS) lamp, so can look ugly.

But as well as saving money and being kind to the environment, they're great in enclosed fittings, as they won't cook the lampholder and wiring so quickly as a GLS would.

Sainsbury's have a good selection at reasonable prices (about £2). Choose the Osram "Dulux EL Longlife" ones (green box) over the Osram "Energy Saver" (white box) ones, as they seem to be more compact for a given power output.

Nick.

but the government dont want us to be more environmentally friendly! (veggie oil instead of diesel)

andy said:
but the government dont want us to be more environmentally friendly!

Oh yes they do!

Look at the proposed part L to come into force from April 2006. The building regs will say that you must fit an energysaving lighting point for every three normal. So just use a few TH lamps and you've got a lot of fluorescents to install.

I've got GE energy-savers in many of my bulbs, and they are fine. I recently fitted some IKEA reading lights, and bought some energy savers from there, which come enclosed in a silicone sheath so they look like normal bulbs, and they are good, though do take a few minutes to reach full brightness.

Morrisons have some compact screw-ins, whichh I am going to try out soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back