Engineered wood - HDF vs Plywood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Hoping for some speedy comments on this.

Received a delivery of engineered wood flooring today.

It looks like the sample sent previously by them was not the same product as the delivery :evil:

The sample I got was actually 14mm engineered with a dark oak veneer (about 3mm) and the backing looked like 4 or 5 plywood layers at 90degs to each.

The wood when it arrived was only 10mm thick, looks about 2mm veneer and has an HDF backing.

Both are a click system.

Supplier wants a pic of the sample emailed, but is accepting it is probably their fault that the incorrect sample was sent. Assuming their fault, they will take back the original FOC, and option was to get the 14mm instead, but is £6/box extra.

I prefer the slightly thicker of the two - and now for the question!

I would have thought the matrix of plywood layers was better than the HDF (dimensionally stable, water resist etc). This was my take from the description of Engineered from the Sticky above.
The supplier argues this is wrong and the HDF is the better product.
:?: Any opinions if this is true?
I can post a pic later if it will help when I'm home.

TIA

Sponsored Links
not an expert on this- I'm just a rough and slow chippy lol but real wood including ply can expand by 2-3mm per walking metre depending on conditions whereas hdf as used in laminate has a theoretical expansion of 1mm per walking metre. I just wonder how they manage to get the real wood to behave like the hdf it has been stuck to??

If what you have received has a better guarantee and warranty than the plywood based product then it should be a better product if not then I'd be thinking the lower price was a clue to what you've been supplied with.... ;-D

good luck

It looks like the sample sent previously by them was not the same product as the delivery :evil:

The sample I got was actually 14mm engineered with a dark oak veneer (about 3mm) and the backing looked like 4 or 5 plywood layers at 90degs to each.

The wood when it arrived was only 10mm thick, looks about 2mm veneer and has an HDF backing.

Both are a click system.

I've had a further discussion with the supplier over the last couple of days.

It looks like the wrong sample was sent out, due to it being incorrectly labeled at the supplier. Unfortunately the 14mm product is more expensive and an extra £6/m2.
I have a couple of options here -
- They are happy to arrange taking back the 10mm product & refund.
- They are willing to supply the 14mm product in an exchange but do expect me to fund the full difference (ordered approx 13m2 so ~£80).

From the website, they do sell the 14mm product at the price of the 10mm, when volume >100m2, so I guess I was cheekily hoping they would do the swap at no additional cost. Arranging for next delivery will require more time off work etc. Realistically, I wanted them to meet me half way but no joy so far.
Is it common for samples to get muddled up? Anyone had any precedence of anything like this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back