ensuite shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me advice about installing an ensuite? Apparently there is a problem with getting rid of the waste and the plumber i called suggested putting in a tank that i empty by hand. it is for my b&b and it doesn't sound very hygienic that way! I'm in despair because i cant find a plumber willing to do the job in my area because it's a tricky job. should i contact saniflow or some other big company??

Sponsored Links
cant you get a local plumber to install with a saniflo ?....they are easy to install. just follow the m.i.

I couldnt find anyone local to do it. Thats why i thought i should try a big company. One guy said he might be able to do the whole thing for about £3000 (including saniflow) but i dont know if that is reasonable because i couldnt get anyone else to quote! Is it right that all stud walls have to be insulated for fire regulations? because that is an extra £400. I dont mind paying as i really want the job done but i dont want to get ripped off.

Ask another plumber around to see if a new soil stack is feasible. You will need BCO approval if so. :D

Forget the Saniflo idea, been told they are more trouble than they are worth. :(

Sponsored Links
lucyp said:
there is a problem with getting rid of the waste and the plumber i called suggested putting in a tank that i empty by hand. :eek: :LOL: We don`t even do that here in the Stix...........used to tho` as recently as the 60`s my Nan`s sister had a Privy..Can you post a drawing of the rooms layout on the floor that you want the ensuite..1st floor I guess.

i thought emptying it by hand was mad too, but thats what the guy said. I think saniflow might be the only option as apparently the pipe needs to be 4 inches and there may not be room under the floorboards. it is the first floor, the place i want the ensuite is halfway between 2 other bathrooms but the pipes could only go to one as the other is on a higher level. its a very old house and i've heard so many different stories from different plumbers who have looked at it. they all say its possible but none will do it. maybe it just aint possible.

Yup the pipe needs to be 4 inch.and can only run "with the joists" to an outside wall.......that means Across the floorboards in the room ;) The depth between floor and ceiling below in a Victorian :?: house should be 8inch @ least.........and Those split levels were common too.....Pain in the arse them. Shame no one local wants it ..Try the Institute of Plumbing+ Htg. Engineers.....on the web or in Phone Book...Registered Plumbers.not the same as CORGI gas.....In fact, do ANYTHING to avoid a box of poo with a pump in it :evil: :mad: Also they can`t cope with anything other than loo paper..so might be a problem in a guesthouse.

Have a think about putting the ensuite in a different place. If you can get the WC on or near an outside wall the job will be very much easier.

Try not to say you can't because you've constructed a mental picture of how it ought to be.

the house is 17th century. i've no idea how much space there is under the floorboards, the boards run vertically too which one guy said was a problem. i will try to think of another place to put the ensuite. the room is small as it is so i didnt want to put the ensuite in the room but if it would be easier maybe i could open out the cupboards to make the room bigger and then put the ensuite on the other side of the room so its up against an outside wall. hadnt thought of that before. if its on the outside it doesnt need to go via the bathroom? it can just go straight out? i'll suggest it to the latest plumber and see what he says. there are no registered plumbing association guys in my postcode area, i tried the website. may need to bring someone in from elsewhere and put him up for a few days, or maybe weeks!!!! thanks for all your suggestions, been trying to sort this out since august!

lucyp said:
the house is 17th century. i've no idea how much space there is under the floorboards, the boards run vertically too which one guy said was a problem. i will try to think of another place to put the ensuite. the room is small as it is so i didnt want to put the ensuite in the room but if it would be easier maybe i could open out the cupboards to make the room bigger and then put the ensuite on the other side of the room so its up against an outside wall. hadnt thought of that before. if its on the outside it doesnt need to go via the bathroom? it can just go straight out? i'll suggest it to the latest plumber and see what he says. there are no registered plumbing association guys in my postcode area, i tried the website. may need to bring someone in from elsewhere and put him up for a few days, or maybe weeks!!!! thanks for all your suggestions, been trying to sort this out since august!
leave till the spring and I`ll come down fro a holiday ;)

Well, my e-mail is in my profile,and it sounds like an interesting place to stay. Could certainly look@ the job and advise how it could be done.No probs with that.

somerset is a nice place for a holiday, cider etc!! I can guarantee at least one room with nice ensuite which does not require you to do any emptying of tanks by hand. will send you an email. got new swish website for b&b! thanks again to all those who responded to my plea!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back