Eternit Guarantee - Any Advice Appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just had roof completely re-tiled by roofer with Thrutone Eternits (artificial slates), which I understand are guaranteed for 30 years. Silly question, by is it normal for the roofer to provide the customer with a guarantee from Thrutone (the manufacturers) themselves? The only thing I've been offered by the roofer is a flimsy bit of paper with one line on it saying 'guaranteed for 30 years'.

To be frank, I'm not sure the roofing outfit we've used will be around in 5 years, let alone 30 if something goes wrong with them.

Appreciate any advice?

Cheers, J.

Sponsored Links
Never seen a garauntee just keep your invoice from the roofer the garauntee is only against defective slates not labour. I wouldn't worry about it personally as long as the slates have been laid properly.For example are they properly lapped did they use copper/ aluminium nails,galvenised at worst, have they pinned the bottom of the slates too.
Bit hard to tel if they have done a good job without seeing it.
But I wouldn't worry about the slates failing within that time though

Thanks - the roof looks like it's been done properly. It was just in the event that there should be a problem with the slates in the future. Say, if they should crack or badly discolour. At that stage, the roofer will no doubt be sunning himself on a yacht in the south of France having retired off all his wealth, so I'd like to be able to approach the manufacturer directly.

Or am I making a meal of it? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Masona - thanks had a look at the site. do you suggest maybe getting in contact with their 'technical advisory dept' and asking them for a guarantee? Problem is, as I say, is that I only have an receipted invoice from the roofer for the total paid (and saying the work is guaranteed), no mention of the fact that they are thrutone eternits on the receipt.
Cheers, J

They will not give you any problems as long as they have been correctly fitted as has been pointed out so yes you are making quite a meal of it!
I assume that like the Irish version of this slate they will have a ten year colour fade guarantee, thereafter they will gradually become more and more grubby but will be watertight for many many years beyond this.
I.M.O. an excellent way to see if your roofers are up to scratch is to check the eave detail, there should be a double eave fitted and then the first full slate, or in other words you should be able to see three thicknesses of slate at the eave, if the roofers can not be bothered to work in the correct eave detail then chances are they will be slapdash and just possibly they may have cut corners in other areas.

Johnsmith said:
Masona - thanks had a look at the site. do you suggest maybe getting in contact with their 'technical advisory dept' and asking them for a guarantee?
No not for the guarantee, just to put your mind at rest to find out what the guarantee is for and what is the life of the tiles. The artificial slates are now becoming very popular as being a lighter materials and hard to break, our local hospital extension is having one done now and they will need it more than 30 years won't they ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back