ethernet/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
question/ what is the part named that an ethernet cable goes into ? at back of comp, as i think mine is not working / the new modem talk talk modem wont connect via it, only via a usb .
i also reinstalled ntl again as i have a month to go yet/ which was on ethernet , and that will only go via a usb as well.
is there a test for it or anyway to check it . cheers. r.r.

Sponsored Links
thanks ..eddie m, learn somat everday, now i know what im looking for. regards, r.r.

hi again, ive put a new ethernet card in the comp [ nic-network interface card ] as i think other one was u/s.
i then put the floppy disc driver in and and it comes up saying -FATAL ERROR/-THERE IS NO LAN BOARD ON YOUR SYSTEM-PRESS SPACE BAR TO EXIT/ .
i then put in the floppy driver which was for the old one that was in and it says/ -THIS IS A PCI VERSION RSET, DOESNT SUPPORT NON PCI SYSTEM.
what do i do now ?.
also when i was in the store buying it a customer i was talking to said leave the modem on USB as it was better than ethernet, also the bloke serving said the same, now im confused - its for a ADSL MODEM setup.
the ntl cable i had was on the ethernet as advised.
only i cant get it to work now , hence the new . NIC. HELP/ REGARDS.R.R.

Sponsored Links
1. What operating system is your computer running?
2. Did you check that the NIC you bought has software that is compatible with it?

hope this helps, MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION version=5.1.2600= service pack 2= LOCATION C\WINDOWS.
the old driver diskette, has -net-lynx-ne320x-r....net-lynx-ne320-r1..on the labal.

and the new driver floppy has-. REALTEK8139=10/100MBPS PCI BUS=FAST ETHERNET DRIVERS=AND SETUP PROGRAME.
hope this is of help, double dutch to me, :)
regards.r.r.

You've certainly answered the first question :))), but not the second.

Looking at the documentation (aka instructions) that came with the new NIC, does it claim that it's compatible with Windows XP?

BTW, it's unlikely that is isn't, I'm just covering all bases. I'd do the following:

1. Uninstall whatever NIC software you tried to install.
2. In Device Manager, delete the entry corresponding to your new NIC.
3. Shut down the computer and power off.
4. Taking the usual anti-static precautions, remove the NIC and put it in its anti-static bag.
5. Start the computer, and ensure that you have no 'faulty' devices in Device Manager.
6. Shut down and power off again.
7. Install the NIC according to the MIs.
8. Start the PC and let XP detect the NIC and install drivers for it.
9. Do a Windows Update to see if there are any updated XP drivers for that NIC.

yep, thanks softus/ will print that off and do as you suggest, will also give an update/ right now im off to nod land/ will give it a try when im fresh in morning/ regards. night. r.r..ps. [ yep the bloke in comp store looked at my old one as did a customer and both said it should be compatiple. ]

You can't tell by comparing the old and new NICs that the software that came with new one is compatible with XP.

However, my suggested process ignores that software, because it's likely that XP will recognise the new NIC and already have drivers ready for it.

XP has drivers for the realtek 8139 so it should just detect. Have a looky in device manager and see if its there.

customer i was talking to said leave the modem on USB as it was better than ethernet, also the bloke serving said the same
They are both talking absolute ****e - I love people like that, they help pay my wages ;)

eggplant said:
XP has drivers for the realtek 8139 so it should just detect. Have a looky in device manager and see if its there.

customer i was talking to said leave the modem on USB as it was better than ethernet, also the bloke serving said the same
They are both talking absolute s***te - I love people like that, they help pay my wages ;)

Not as bad as someone at my old place ordering several thousand USB connected PIN pads for our windows NT 4 estate, doh !!

:D thanks, softus-eggplant/and all.
yep / drivers ? were in fact allready on here, i was doing as you said softus and accidently came upon drivers etc ,[ think it was in device manager ] ? anyway as eggplant said it was on here allready but wasnt activated/ one click and it was all sorted. :) but when i fitted it at first it didnt pop up on screen as new hardware detected, i suppose its cus it isnt hardware. :)
anyway the ethernet is ok/ also ive got that new talktalk modem conected via it , [ not a patch on ntl cable ] still its ok/ .
yes the advice i was given to leave it on a usb port did seem confusing when the ntl modem has a sticker on it use ethernet if available, and talk talk modem has a e,net port on it. anyway now i get a pop up sugesting i get a get a high speed usb host controler then the usb mass storage will function at maximum performance. more money :( . anyway thanks again. regards.r.r.

Glad its sorted.
Regarding the USB, theres basically 2 standards - 1.1. and 2. 2 is much faster than 1. But will still work. The speed is very noticable when trnasferring things form a pen drive,camera. You can buy a usb 2 card which gives several usb ports which fits into a spare pci slot (same as your realtek card went into) they are about a tenner or so.

yes thanks for that eggplant,
question / i put what comp i got allready, it has 1 usb at back and 1 at front behind slide down panel, is there a difference on these speed wise ? or do i just see whats fastest with me scanner or printer ?
also i have several extension usb,s ports on a single plug in one / ..ie- 1 has 4 -another has 6, does a high speed mean its mains powered ?
regards,r.r. :)

Sponsored Links
Back