Euro Football

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

Did I hear it right the other day? They have built seven football stadiums(stadii?) in portugal for half the price of the new Wembley stadium.

A spokesperson said the cost of land in London was a contributary factor, surely they already own the land?

I would love to see the consulant/professional fees/expenses for this project.

Sponsored Links
Well, labour costs in Portugal are a lot lower. However, 7 stadii for the price of half a Wembley? Portuguese labour isn't THAT cheap!

How big are the Portuguese stadii? Are they comparable in quality? Will they still be standing in 100 years (or however long Wembley is to last)? Are the seats as comfy?

I am not a football fan, but I do think that we need to have world class venues in this country. 90% of the male population (and a noticeable portion of the female population) of this country love the game and you can't ignore that. And I feel that world-sporting events do instill a feeling of pride in many people. Although some female friends accused me of being sad when they found a George Cross in my car... :LOL:

Portugal are football insane. I read that in Portugal if you donate blood you get the afternoon off. Traditionally they play on a Wednesday afternoon. So, on a Wednesday lunchtime there are actually massive queue for the blood-van!

securespark said:
Stadia is plural. Stadium is singular.

You're right. I should have remembered it from school: one Roman mile is 8 stadia.

And to think I am pedantic over the correct plural of "virus" (no it isn't virii!)

Right, must get my own back. I've got my eye on you, sonny boy! First classical language plural you make and BAM! I'll be there correcting you! You better brush up on your Latin!

Sponsored Links
Tune es vetus amice?

Nota Bene: Non sibi sed omnibus.

Well, that's my excuse for correcting other's errors...selfless as I am!

Vale!

Saluto Simon!

Tuba mirum spargens sonum per sepulchre regionum, coget omnes ante thronum.

Salve!

amicus

Is vultus bonus , tamen est is rectus? EGO reputo vos impono quod adsuesco assuesco a reddo muneris!

Ooooh, now if that isn't a "dis", I dunno what is! My latin isn't that great, but we had to study it at school so I know a bit. I admit I did have to refer to my dictionary but ego wouldn't call that cheating. :p

Caudex. :LOL:

Romanes Eunt Domus

He's not a Roman, he's a very naughty boy!!
:D

OK, pax it is amicus :D

Unfortunately I didn't see "The Life of Brian" until after I had finished school otherwise perhaps I would have paid more attention in Latin.

Ever seen that Carry On film with Sid James leading some Romans on a march......"Sinister, Dexter, Sinister, Dexter......" !!!

:LOL:

Wasn't that a football match played tonight in Portugal ? That was a right old carry on !

Nah, it's only a football match if there is a referee present.

Did anyone see that gimp who ran onto the field in a black uniform blowing a whistle? What an idiot! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back