1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Ex-ADT Galaxy 2-20, house extension and options

Discussion in 'Alarms, CCTV & Telephones' started by Manny76, 7 Sep 2021.

1. Manny76

Manny76

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello all,

I currently have a ex-ADT Honeywell Galaxy 2-20 in perfect conditions. I inherited when I bought the house, it was installed in 2010. It has the ADT external dummy box, plus internal siren and back-up battery. I have a bunch of PIRs and door sensors. I then moved the maintenance to a local company who charges me £90 per year.

I am doing a house extension. Literally doubling the square feet.

I am in two minds about what to do about the house alarm.

1) replace entire system with more modern system like Boundary. I do like the ability to manage it from my phone and keep an eye on it in real time. I feel a big blind with the Galaxy as I don't find out until I get home. Cost: around £800

2) keep existing Galaxy, add a bunch of PIRs and door sensors. Cost: around £300

What would you do? Are the new alarm systems like Boundary better than my ageing system?

Thanks for reading!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. GalaxyGuy

GalaxyGuy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How many sensors are you adding for £300 ? I assume for that cost you are you talking wireless sensors ? I'd much rather have a hard wired Galaxy G2 system than some ungraded (boundary is not graded yet) wireless system. The online calculator just quoted me £700 and £8 a month for a basic unmonitored system and that's self installed!!! If I were you, I'd add an external sounder (the new Texecom sounders are nice and loud) and more wired sensors.

You can also add self monitoring to your Galaxy G2 panel by adding a SelfMon module and registering a selfmon account (£1/month). This will then provide notifications and the module will enable remote control.

Disclosure: I run SelfMon.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2021
  4. Deryck Tintagel

Deryck Tintagel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Doesn't the Boundary system need a subscription for more than the very basic alarm?