existing garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved into our new property 5 weeks ago and i'm a little bemused by an rsj that was installed when the garage was built appx 20 years ago.
The external wall to the garage is rendered in and out and has piers at regular intervals with single skin brick/block between.
The rsj has been installed appx half way down the garage i'm guessing with the intention of building above at a later date but i did'ent think you could build on top of single skin walls even if they do have piers?

Hope i have explained clearly and thanks for any replys.

Sponsored Links
I suspect the next move was to put a beam along the side wall , then run the first floor in cavity work off the steel frame .

I have an RSJ across my garage to attach the engine hoist to...

Gary

Sponsored Links
Did cross my mind but theres no holes/markings etc that show its ever been used for a hoist, there is no space above the rsj to allow for a chain to be wrapped over either.

Anyone no how i can check if the existing garage has been built to take a room above at a later date?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back