Expansion vessel problem - PRV spouts twice a day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect that there has been some kind of failure with the expansion vessel on my unvented hot water cylinder.

A couple of times a day, hot water spouts from the overflow, maybe a litre or two. The system is about 18 months old and this probably started 6 months ago.

I've tried poking the valve on the back of the expansion vessel (blue one) and there's nothing coming out, not gas or water. I've also tried sticking a tyre pressure gauge, but it just doesn't get a reading. (When I check the heating circuit expansion tank this reads exactly the same as the attached gauge, so that's all fine).

I've read about water coming out of the valve when the diaphragm in the expansion vessel fails, but my symptoms appear to suggest that the valve itself is leaking gas, so the vessel has effectively no pressure on the gas side, and therefore no expansion capability.

Does anyone agree with my diagnosis? Is this common? What can I do to test this theory further before I call the appropriately qualified person to change the vessel?

Thanks.

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back