Extended Guarantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Barclaycard offering EG through using their card to buy:-
Cover Details
1. Free cover commences for a period of 12 months (for purchases between £150 and £499.99) or 24 months (for
purchases of £500 or over) from the date the manufacturer’s standard warranty expires
. The manufacturer’s
warranty period must not be less than 12 months, or greater than 24 months.
2. Breakdowns must be notified by
calling 0845 300 1038 within 45 days of breakdown

-----------------------------------------------------------
Unrelated to above.
Ever wondered about 'unsolicited software' ? More

p

Sponsored Links
Why is it that when I bought an electric kettle for £5 did the assistant then spend time trying to persuade me to buy an extended warranty for £7 ?

I have heard a rumour that Barclaycard will be dropping this soon which will be a shame. Rumour came about from my sister in law who was ripped off on ebay to the tune of £350. Got the money back through Barclaycard and was told that not enough people took advantage of the extended guarantee scheme.

We'll wait and see

Porker said:
Got the money back through Barclaycard and was told that not enough people took advantage of the extended guarantee scheme.
You would've thought the more people use it, the more it will cost barclaycard.

Sponsored Links
Exactly - I don't believe their answer for a moment. Either it was costing them too much or else they are not getting extra business from it. I don't have a Barclaycard myself but their benefits are quite good. Offset by their large interest rate - which doesn't vary like the Bank base rate now borrowing is cheap.

Porker said:
Exactly - I don't believe their answer for a moment. Either it was costing them too much or else they are not getting extra business from it. I don't have a Barclaycard myself but their benefits are quite good. Offset by their large interest rate - which doesn't vary like the Bank base rate now borrowing is cheap.
hit the nail on the head there porker that's probably why they were hoping more people would have taken up the option along with not paying off their card every month.

I obtained the data from their website.

The '2 yr' extended, apparently is from June this year, so is new ? or just slightly diferent conditions ? Wife just recieved mail extolling the virtues of the EG process ... pretty good I think.

The small print says that the item must be paid for in full using B/card, before taking up the EG option, you have something like 45 or 60 days after purchase - can't remember which - to sign up for EG.

I am not an interest payer .. Wife tho' does play the old tune on the cards and has paid no interest over the last several years, whilst earning interest on the dosh in savings ... You have to keep your records tight and shift the balance to the zero int card at the right time .. It works, but pain in a s s to administer !!
One tip, it pays, or more to the point it looks like it will pay, to actually instruct the closure of an account, rather than just cutting up a card following balance transfer elsewhere.
There is a whisper, no more, that in the light of so much debt there may be a check on how many accounts are held .. as a rough means of deciding a user's credit worthiness ... so lots of dormant but unclosed accounts MAY count against one.
P

Barclaycard is the dearest credit card if you don't pay up in full each month and yet they have more customer than any other credit card company :!: :confused:

Effectively one could have umpteen cards, utilising each one on the basis of it's merits ..... The clever part is paying no interest on money spent ... taking advantage of the extra benifits when appropriate, and above all keeping firmly on top of records ... statements ... and resisting the urge to borrow !!
So, BC may, or may not charge highest rates ... Matters not to the non-borrower .... he can still get the extended guarantee and other benefits from using the card to purchase goods.
Are you a card carrying 'Borrower' or 'purchaser' ?

P

pipme said:
Are you a card carrying 'Borrower' or 'purchaser' ?
I'm Barclaycard purchaser and always pay up every month.

I've just bought a laptop with 12 month interest free payment method and at the end of the free period you either settle up or carry on paying a monthly payments.

I asked how do the bank benefit from people like me that will pay up, they said only 3 out of 10 people only paid it up, the others either forgotten it or can't afford to do so. The way I see it these people who can't afford it are giving me a 12 mths interest free loan, don't seems right does it !

Just something that might suprise you about CC's. Capital One have a very cunning (read abominable) practice. If you draw cash on your CC not only do you pay daily interest from the day you drew it (this is the same for most CC's), you may never pay off the interest!!

See the link which explains how this works.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/moneybox/3881501.stm

PIP

That's exactly what I do with my mobile.

I have different sims using different tarrifs. I have a Tesco sim (who piggyback off O2) but charge half the price for mobile-mobile calls. So I can use each provider depending on their charges or time of day etc.

I'm not getting ripped off!!

They can sing for their money.

I have a friend who has three orange sims, each with a different time of day for offpeak. Oh, it's two oclock, switch to sim 3 for cheap calls......

I have thought about doing this, but how do you work it for incoming calls without having more than one phone? I'm sure my friends would get p*ssed off if they had to try up to 3 numbers to get hold of me, or learn a timetable!

masona said:
pipme said:
.... The way I see it these people who can't afford it are giving me a 12 mths interest free loan, don't seems right does it !
It doesn't !
But Banks give nothing away overall, they must be pretty sure that they will 'ensnare' more 'borrowers' from the 'purchasers' ...
I have a feeling that paying the 'minimum' monthly payment may very well not repay the loan ... I mean why should it ? Morally , yes it should.. but this is an amoral situation and what do the Yanks say ? "Never give a sucker an even break" ... Stinks doesn't it ?

P

Nine

I have one mobile number (ie sim) which is connected most of the time, unless I switch to another sim.

People ringing in would ring this number. You only use a different sim (and therefore number) to ring OUT on to save YOU money on the calls, then when you've finished, you switch back to the "main" sim.

It feels good to beat the system, if only up to a point. Most people have just one sim, and are stuck with that tarrif. Mobile phone network providers bank on people buying one sim, and sticking to it. They are also cagey about number porting (taking your existing mobile number to another provider) so most people stick with their existing provider because they don't want to lose their number.

Knowing everytime I make a mobile to mobile call I am saving 50% per minute is good.

I bought my first mobile in 98, and was one of the first to port my number to another provider. That was a real to-do. My then existing provider wanted me to provide a "valid" reason why I wanted to leave before they would authorise the porting. (reason was cr@p reception....)

Rather like when I moved recently to another provider, the then existing firm (a colouful one!!) refused to disconnect my sim unless I told them why I was leaving........

I had to threaten the regulator before she would back down, cheeky beggar!

Who would have thought "reputable" firms would use underhand tactics like that?

Oh, I'm SO naiive......

Just realised you were wondering about the practicalities of having three sims used regularly. Hmm point taken, but in my case, I use them to make the odd outgoing call, so that isn't an issue.

Yes, you'd need three numbers in your memory:

Ben 8-4, Ben 4-12, Ben 12-8.....

Gets complicated, huh? But it obviously works for him!

Sponsored Links
Back