Extended mains cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a question regarding extending cables too. If you extend a cable behind a wall or more importantly by creating a channel in a solid wall, do you have to use armoured cable or a metal tube to run the cable in before plastering over it?
I intended just to use some plastic tubing to run the cable in for the solid wall, and just the bare cable behind the plasterboard wall.

Ian

Sponsored Links
This should be posted in "Electrics Outside the UK" as you may get advice that is not pertinent in your area.

Hi Texmex,

I'm just registered in DK, the job is in UK!

Ian

There are two issues here, really.

If you are extending a cable, then there are the questions about how you should effect the join, and secondly regarding the routing of the cable, if it isn't in a permitted zone OR more than 50mm deep, then it must have mechanical protection, such as armour or earthed metal conduit - plastic tube won't hack it

Sponsored Links
Thanks ban-all-sheds!

My plan is to run a new length of cable in for the whole length - I can put the metal tube in and earth it by connecting to the existing metal tube (which I expect is there!!!...and earthed.... I'll check).

Should not be a problem with zones - its just a socket in the livingroom, not close to water, windows or anything I could imagine being a problem.

One thing I noticed though with other stuff - existing cables behind plasterboard walls (not solid walls, just filled with some glass fibre insulation) and in floorspace has no armour - they just 'dangle' behind the platerboard or lie between the roof & floorboards between ground and first floor - I guess these should be armoured too then?

Thanks for the help!

Ian

diy_ian said:
My plan is to run a new length of cable in for the whole length - I can put the metal tube in and earth it by connecting to the existing metal tube (which I expect is there!!!...and earthed.... I'll check).

the tube to which you refer is conduit, probably 200mm, it also has a thread on it which is how it "connects"

you camn probably hire a set of di (to cut thread) but unless you know what you are doing i would get an electrician in, in this case

diy_ian said:
Thanks ban-all-sheds!

Don't bank on it - use of conduit is unusual.

Should not be a problem with zones - its just a socket in the livingroom, not close to water, windows or anything I could imagine being a problem.
I meant the zones for running buried cables, not bathroom zones - check the link in the For Reference section.

One thing I noticed though with other stuff - existing cables behind plasterboard walls (not solid walls, just filled with some glass fibre insulation) and in floorspace has no armour - they just 'dangle' behind the platerboard or lie between the roof & floorboards between ground and first floor - I guess these should be armoured too then?
Depends where they are - check the link in the For Reference section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back