Extended ring main now it's picky about the company it keeps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to move a double socket about 30cm along and around a corner of the bedroom. As the socket (on ring main) was cut into the skirting board (without a backplate!!!) and was also feeding a fcu supplying a 500W security light (discovered it was fused to 13A!!)I decided to extend the ring main and put both the new double socket and fixed connection unit onto the ring main mounting both into their own boxes on wall. :D
My quandry is that after completion my Dyson (1250W) and only my Dyson refuses to work from the new double socket. Thinking it might be related to load :confused: this theory was dashed when able to power hairdryer (1440W) and most other appliances just fine. :confused:
My Plug-in socket tester indicates the double socket is correctly wired and the security light is operational but obviously something is amiss.
Before throwing myself on the mercy of an electrician and getting him to put my work right is there something obvious for me to check first
:oops:

Sponsored Links
Sorry to ask the obvious, but does the Dyson work in another socket outlet?
Have you checked that phase & neutral aren't reversed at the plate?

Update: Decided to check again this morning. Plugged Dyson into new socket (yes it does work fine on every other socket). To my amazement it worked albeit on the second attempt. :mad:

Opened up the socket/fcu/junction box, checked the wiring, no problems at all. :confused:

Put everything back together and no great surprise this time the Dyson worked fine first time.

My only niggle now is I don't like things that fix themselves for no discernible reason - it's frustrating and every mystery always has a answer.
For what it's worth I don't reckon the Dyson was at fault. So why on earth would it fail on the new socket.

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to the why? :)

1)Dodgy connection to your new socket?

2)Dodgy switch(es) on your new socket?

3)Loose wire on your Dyson's plugtop?

4)Broken wire in the Dyson's flex?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back