extending a mains cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ring circuit at home and I wish to move the current socket to a further location. can I extend the two 2.5mm cables that are in the current socket, using a 30Amp Junction box?

Is it good practice to extend 2.5mm cables and above using junction boxes.

thanks
kumbi

Sponsored Links
yes you can move it provided you use 2.5mm cable and one junction box for each cable.

Officially you are now supposed to use crimps, but i personally think these un reliable, unless you are expearianced with them and have a proper ratchet crimper

Thank you breezer for the reply, I will sleep better at night now. One more question please, the same question as before but this time using 2 x 30amp Terminal Block connectors to extend the two 2.5mm cables. The Terminal blocks and the cables will be set inside a wall that i will skim over and then tile over.

Please help again.....

(Phew! what a heat wave we have in London.)

Regards

Kumbi

in short NO, do as you did before, but can you not lift a floor board an pull the origonal cables out?

today you know they are there, what happens next year?

electricity has no prejudices it kills any one

(and yes i know about the heatwave in London, just come back)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Breezer I ended up using junction boxes as you advised, I have seen the expert advice you have given in other subjects, thank you i'ts good to know there is some out there who does know what he is doing... have a good day.

regards

kumbi :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back