Extending a telephone sockets with adsl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I'm after some more help about telephones sockets.

My master socket is about 7 foot up the wall.

I want 2 phone sockets upstairs & 2 phone sockets downstaris.

Could I use a junction box, with one cable going to the first socket downstaris & add the second socket to the first one (daisy chain).
And another cable going the first socket up stairs & again daisy chaining to the second.

Or will all 4 phones have to have separate cables form the junction box up to each phone socket.

Also for ADSL do I have to have a Mirco flitter in each phone socket
like it says here

Or can I just plug a ADSL filter in the socket next to the PC, I'm doing this at the moment & it seems ok.
Because in that ADSL sites it says
prevent your analogue devices from interfering with the Broadband frequency

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
you can daisy chain from the master or each slave, so long as you connect terminals 2, 5 & 3 in paralell. you should also have an adsl filter on each socket used

For the junction box, use one designed for telephone use such as one of these.

The microfilter quote isn't entirely correct for the ADSL system used in the UK. Some people get away without filters, but the reason they are used is not to prevent "normal" phone equipment interfering with the ADSL, it is to prevent the ADSL equipment interfering with the normal phone equipment. You get some annoying high-pitched noises otherwise.

The link you gave had some interesting info, I never knew the BT plug was used in over 30 countries, I thought it was unique to us! Although seeing as some other countries use the British 13A mains plug it would make sense.

In any system, the fewer the joints, the better. Assuming you have a linebox, you can run one 6 core up for the upstairs, tapping off it for the 2nd upstairs point, the same for downstairs, and connect both cables into the front plate of the linebox.

As Breezer says, any method is acceptable as long as you parallel the connections 2 3 & 5.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this help guys.

Buy 6 Core cable it take it, this is the same as Telephone Cable Two Pair ?

billynw said:
Thanks for this help guys.

Buy 6 Core cable it take it, this is the same as Telephone Cable Two Pair ?

no, two pair is only 4 cores (2 x 2) but so long as it is SOLID DRAWN it will comply with bt regs

solid drawn is a solid wire as opposed to multistranded (7 small fine wires)

6 core (3 pair) just gives you a bit of versatlity/flexibility.

6 core gives you future options for multi-line systems, but I would imagine these will become less common in domestic situations what with broadband so cheap now.

As has been said so many times in this thread already, everything needs to be connected in parallel. It will be the same electrically whether you do it the way you propose or if you connect everything on one long daisychain (if you draw a diagram, everything is in parallel either way you do it).

Thanks again guys for this info.

But one more thing.
Do i have to use a Junction box or could I connect it stright into the BT master socket.

I have taken the front of the master socket off & it has 6 terminal at the back of the socket.

Thanks again

What size is your master? Is it the same size as other telephone sockets or is it the same size as a standard 1 gang (single) electrical accessory?

billynw said:
Do i have to use a Junction box or could I connect it stright into the BT master socket.

Well, I have never tried putting more than two wires into each terminal but 3 will fit just fine. An important point; get an "IDC insertion tool". These are cheap (£2 for a cheap one, £5 for a professional one) as they are just a bit of plastic. What they do is push the cable between the two "blades" of each terminal. Using a screwdriver is no good as it pushes the blades apart and produces a less-than-perfect connection which you definitely don't want in your case as your cables are dealing with ~MHz signals.

If you have screw terminals on your master socket (I haven't seen them, but I have on slave sockets) then that is even better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back