Extending central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been here before but have finally got round to attempting to extend my central heating system into my 3 bed extension.

To begin with my house is singe storey. The existing CH consists of a multi fuel stove equipped with a wrap around boiler which feeds a hot water cylinder in the loft space, off which is taken the feed for the CH. The pump is controlled by a thermostat thing which is attached to one of the pipes that enters the cylinder (there is a dial on this thermostat which can be altered allowing the water in the cylinder to get hotter before the CH is activated) Suplementing the stove is an oil fired rayburn which alone can provide adequate hot water when the stove is not lit.

Two 22mm pipes drop down from the loft space and feed 5 Rads in the existing house, although at some point under the floor the pipes are reduced to 15 mm.

My problem is that I need to extend this system into a 3 bed extension and add on a further 4 rads. It is my intention to 'chop' off the two pipes under the floor where they are still 22mm, install a pair of either gate valves or isolating valves (i don't know what would be best) and replace the existing 15mm pipes with 22mm and take it into the extension (all under the floor) and taking 15mm tees off the 22mm pipes to each rad.

I am going to use end feed fittings, with the exception of the two valves.

How do I isolate the CH feed pipes to allow me to cut them and install the two valves?

Is there any general advice with regard to soldering etc that anyone can give please? :confused:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back