Extending ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I currently have a double socket on my kitchen wall below the worktop, which I have to use for the appliances. As I'm going to be getting a new worktop soon, I thought it would be a good idea to do this properly (as I've read here), and have two single sockets below the worktop and two double pole switches for them above the worktop, and maybe add a new double socket above the worktop as well.
I've checked out the wiring, and there's two cables coming up through the concrete floor running to the existing double socket, so it's not a spur. Any suggestions on the best way of extending this circuit above the worktop would be appeciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
as this is work in a kitchen you will need to contact your local LABC and notify them of the work you intend to do prior to commencing work.. they will charge a fee for this and will send someone round to inspect your work at various stages, which will also be charged for..

ok. that's the obligatory "Part P" warning over with..

now.. your best bet is to change the double socket for a blank plate and use it as a juction box.. then run the wires to your new points making sure you stick to the "safe zones".. these extend verically and horizontaly from the points and with in 150mm of the ceiling and corners of walls..

make the new wiring part of the ring..

make sure you use grommets on the knockout holes of the back boxes and capping to protect from damage by the plasterer..

A dual box would be very handy.

You can bring one leg of the ring into one side, and the other leg into the other, and link them with a short cable. Then you can put an accessory (such as a DP switch) into each side.

You can also take a spur out of each side if you want.

i did think of that but the socket he wants to extend from is under the counter.. cables won't reach the new points..
changing to twin box here would just give 2 single sockets.. but he wants to have switches above the counter to control these..

Sponsored Links
quite right... I was thinking they were above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back