Extending ring main for new conservatory light and power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to start constructing my new Wickes conservatory and needed some help regarding the lighting and power sockets. I have an existing socket close to where the conservatory will be, which is on the current house ring main. I am intending to extend the ring main at this point.

Unfortunately, accessing the wiring in the traditionale method (under floor/ceiling, etc...) is not possible as I dont have easy access upwards, and its a concrete floor.

Is there any tips anyone can shed on how to neatly extend the ring main from this double socket. I know I'll have to chase out the wall to get to the conservatory, but wonder if I could fit (or if there are any special fittings) the two juction boxes inside the socket recess and replace the existing socket with a blanking plate. Don't know if this is possible or if there are different types of 30amp junction boxes available that would do this, rather than having ugly junction boxes on the dining room wall. Any help would be great.

Also, someone mentioned that for a small lighting spur, it's possible to spur off the ring main and use that, but presumably the Ampage would need to come down from 30, is there a small transformer/socket available that would do this without involving large boxes on the wall?

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
You can use standard 32A terminal blocks inside the socket box if they will fit. If not, fit a single deep backbox next to the old socket and put the connections in here, and fit a blank plate over the top.

EDIT your other query about light spurs - you need an FCU with a 3A fuse in it. Fit this on your newly extended ring main.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back