Extending ring main methods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone just clarify for me please, we are just extending a ring circuit to add two double sockets, yes?
I agree that one wouldn't think so, on the basis of what has been proposed and discussed - but, Yes!!

Kind Regards, John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rearranged the conductors and removed several others to make a proper much simpler ring as in option 1. I really don't know what I was thinking of with option 2, I even revisited the sockets I thought had originally been put in in this way but I was mistaken - they were all wired correctly.

Much happier with the setup now, which is an extended ring with 3 new double sockets, two new switched fuses (each with a single socket spur for washer and dryer) and one spurred double socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rearranged the conductors and removed several others to make a proper much simpler ring as in option 1. I really don't know what I was thinking of with option 2, I even revisited the sockets I thought had originally been put in in this way but I was mistaken - they were all wired correctly. ... Much happier with the setup now, which is an extended ring with 3 new double sockets, two new switched fuses (each with a single socket spur for washer and dryer) and one spurred double socket.
That sounds like the correct (and simple!) solution - well done!

Kind Regards, John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a final test, before firing it all up.
You must make sure that your ring is still a ring!

You have to do this at the fuse board. Disconnect all of the connections there and test for continuity round the live neutral and earth conductors.

You should also be checking for insulation resistance, if you have the proper test equipment.

how to guide http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.4.2.htm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As a final test, before firing it all up.
You must make sure that your ring is still a ring!

You have to do this at the fuse board. Disconnect all of the connections there and test for continuity round the live neutral and earth conductors.

You should also be checking for insulation resistance, if you have the proper test equipment.

how to guide http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/8.4.2.htm[/QUOTE]

I will definitely be doing this. Thanks for the link.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the tests we have to do is to ensure we don't have a figure of 8. Drawing out a figure of 8 at first it seems to be no problem. But we tend to draw with even length legs and in practice the lengths are not even.

This in turn means the current in each cable is unpredictable and one can get an over load of one section.

I will admit I tend not to test every socket for figure of 8 connection it should never happen anyway, but your post has prompted me to do these tests as we should.