1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Extension french door - changing locks

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by Phoebian, 2 Dec 2019.

1. Phoebian

Phoebian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I am looking to change the cylinder locks on my French doors.

The door on the right is easy to do, with removing the screw from inside. However on the left door, this is not accessible as easily.

From what I can see, this plastic extension is held on by 6 screws which I assume I need to remove.

However, most of the screws I can only see 1/2 of it because of a metal plate which I assume needs removing first, but there are so many screws on there, I am just not sure which screws need to be taken out.

Any advice would be great.
    Also if this is easy to do with a normal screw driver or if the plastic is hard it would need to be a battery powered?

Thanks!

Last edited: 2 Dec 2019
  2. Gazman16

Gazman16

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    First pencil mark exactly where the metal plate sits on the mullion (so it goes back in same place) Take off the metal locking plate (yellow/zinc screws) If any are under 10mm long but them straight back in.
    You may or maynot find a hole through the mullion to the cylinder screw, If not I would recommend drilling one. Mullions can be a bit tricky to remove and to relocate correctly.
    Should be pretty easy to measure and mark where the screw will be and then drill a 10mm hole for access. There will most likely be some steel reinforcing to drill through so take it steady with a nice sharp drill bit.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Phoebian

Phoebian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you Gazman16, will be hoping to get this done during next week and let you know the outcome.

Sounds do-able for sure.

Thanks again!

5. Phoebian

Phoebian

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Worked like a dream. Was worried about the amount of plastic I had to drill through, but little bits at a time and it turned out alright.

Thanks again.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links