Extension maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house has a timber frame extension with tiles on the outside and i have a small damp problem inside near one of the corners.

After taking off a few tiles near the ground level, I noticed that there is like a black material under the tiles, probably what keeps the water and rain off my plasterboard I suppose.

Well I need to know what that black material is please as its ripped and rotted away at the bottom, so I thought I would buy some and patch it up.

So....does anyone know what its called and can i pick it up at a place like b&q

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is not polythene, then its more likely to be a breathable membrane - waterproof but lets the timber breath and stay dry. This will look a bit like thin cloth

The membrane can be expensive for a whole roll, so for a small area you could patch it with normal felt, thick polyphene or wide DPC. Or if you see some builders using it for roofing - normally a white/grey colour then ask for a bit for the price of a pint or two.

Either way its important to do a proper repair and stop the damp

Would I be OK in getting one of those vapour permeable membranes from jewsons as it looks like that would do, although it would seem it was meant for roofs.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Generally roofing membrane is made to a higher specification, so should be OK on vertical panels. But if is exposed to sunlight, then it must be a UV resistant type

thanks for ur advice woody, i'll be looking n jewsons or b&q for some of that stuff soon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back